my hen just died and left six chicks alone?

kronikjoe

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 24, 2009
she was a free roaming hen so i just let them do what they do best but just yesterday my hen died. now the chicks are running all over the place without a mommy. i have no experience caring for the chicks. what do i do with them? i really feel bad for them.

the chicks were born late january btw

I would gather them all up and get a brooder made for them. They may still need some heat to make it through the nights. They no longer have momma to keep them warm.

Can you gather them up and put them in an enclosed area? How old are they? If still quite young, you'll have to get a heat lamp so they'll be kept warm. Give them water and food and they will survive. Keep them away from the other adult chickens if they are still babies. Adult chickens can hurt them. Keep them separated until the chicks are older.

they are about 3 months old now and can fly a great distance.,

anyway, i live in hawaii and it's getting pretty hot. do i still need a warmer?

im thinking 3 months old is old enough to pretty much get along without her. by now they know how to fing bugs and water, and its totally warm enough for them where they are. i think they will be fine. just kepp them with your other chickens and let them do their thing, theyll be fine. but if you are worried about it, throw some chick starter out there with them to pick and scratch at as a suppliment for food.
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom