My hen just pecked my other hen’s foot!

mottocytie

Chirping
Jan 17, 2024
So I’ve posted about this a couple days ago, my hen gets pecked on a lot during bedtime in the coop and i thought to just wait it out because it could be part of the pecking order but today I saw a cut on her foot. Is it a serious cut? What should I apply? What should I do about this pecking behaviour?
D2880B24-7782-46DA-A20A-C46BD3FEE75F.png

I wouldn't call that a serious cut, though left untreated, it could become serious. Clean it with a saline rinse (or something similar if you don't have it) and put neosporin or bag balm on it. If you can, I would separate her into a clean kennel where you can clean up any poop so she doesn't step in it, getting her wound dirty. (If you can, put the kennel in the coop so she's not separated from her flock.) I would clean it 1-2 times a day for a few days until it improves.
Because this isn't a serious cut, I would expect it to heal up good enough to be fine with three days or so, and if you can't (or don't feel it necessary) to separate, I wouldn't be too worried about it as long as it's staying clean.

Pecking the feet is a part of the pecking order. How many perches do you have? Was she getting pecked from a lower perch or the one she was on? (For nighttime pecking issues, I just move birds around on the perches so the more pecky ones aren't bothering the lowers as much if at all.)

I wouldn't call that a serious cut, though left untreated, it could become serious. Clean it with a saline rinse (or something similar if you don't have it) and put neosporin or bag balm on it. If you can, I would separate her into a clean kennel where you can clean up any poop so she doesn't step in it, getting her wound dirty. (If you can, put the kennel in the coop so she's not separated from her flock.) I would clean it 1-2 times a day for a few days until it improves.
Because this isn't a serious cut, I would expect it to heal up good enough to be fine with three days or so, and if you can't (or don't feel it necessary) to separate, I wouldn't be too worried about it as long as it's staying clean.

Pecking the feet is a part of the pecking order. How many perches do you have? Was she getting pecked from a lower perch or the one she was on? (For nighttime pecking issues, I just move birds around on the perches so the more pecky ones aren't bothering the lowers as much if at all.)
Thanks! I did clean it and I did end up wrapping a bit of a bandage around it just in case some pecking occurs tonight. It’s just one long perch. There’s 7 hens total and 6 of them are leg horns, the one that gets pecked on is a different breed from the others. I know pecking order is normal that’s why I just let it happen but I didn’t expect to see cuts or any injuries until today. So I got a bit worried but I’m unable to seperate her at the moment, however I am thinking of making the coop larger and adding more perches. The did peck the bandage a couple times because I guess it made her uncomfortable. I will clean it and take it off tomorrow.

Thanks! I did clean it and I did end up wrapping a bit of a bandage around it just in case some pecking occurs tonight. It’s just one long perch. There’s 7 hens total and 6 of them are leg horns, the one that gets pecked on is a different breed from the others. I know pecking order is normal that’s why I just let it happen but I didn’t expect to see cuts or any injuries until today. So I got a bit worried but I’m unable to seperate her at the moment, however I am thinking of making the coop larger and adding more perches. The did peck the bandage a couple times because I guess it made her uncomfortable. I will clean it and take it off tomorrow.
Bandages don't usually stay on long, though for tonight, hopefully it'll be fine. She might be getting pecked on more because she's different. What breed is she? Some breeds are more aggressive (I think some Leghorns are, like the Whites) than others. I think adding more perches would be better. That way she could sleep away from them. (My bullied girl likes to sleep in the nesting boxes.)

Bandages don't usually stay on long, though for tonight, hopefully it'll be fine. She might be getting pecked on more because she's different. What breed is she? Some breeds are more aggressive (I think some Leghorns are, like the Whites) than others. I think adding more perches would be better. That way she could sleep away from them. (My bullied girl likes to sleep in the nesting boxes.)
Yeah I didn’t want to wrap it too tightly, but I think it’ll be fine for the night. Hopefully she’ll be able to sleep okay with it on. I’m actually not sure what breed she is exactly, I was thinking white giant jersey. Here’s a pic! And yes I’m definitely going to work on adding more space. They’re always running away from me though and won’t let me pick them up lol. However I raised them from baby chicks and yes the others are white leghorns only a few of them are bullies though.

Attachments

• 3848B45E-8C3C-4701-AC7F-EA30B464F10A.jpeg
    3848B45E-8C3C-4701-AC7F-EA30B464F10A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
Wow! She’s pretty. ❤️ I Hope your other girls will come to accept her.

Back
Top Bottom