My Hen Laid THREE eggs in one day!!!

I have five, 20 week old hens that are free ranged during the day. A couple of weeks ago I started finding one egg a day in the feed shed on top of a hay bale, then it became two eggs a day last week. I didn’t know which hen is laying the eggs. The other day I was in the hay shed and noticed one hen walking around on top of the hay bale. So I sat and watched her. She found a spot, made a little round place to sit. She sat there for about 15-20 mins. She stood up, I walked over to her, looked and found three eggs underneath her. She just walked away, found the others, started eating. I didn’t think anything of it, I assumed multiple egg laying was normal. Since then, I have been getting two eggs a day in the same spot. Last night my husband was searching the internet and found that more than two egg laying is not normal, three is impossible. Now I am worried. My hen appears to be fine, drinking, eating, roaming around the yard as normal. Now I am reading on the internet that three eggs a day by one hen is impossible. Had I known this, I would had video it on my phone. There were no eggs on the hay bale when she sat down, I watched the whole time, she got up, I saw three eggs between her legs under her.

My hen is about 9 months old. She lays one egg a day. One day, I went to collect the eggs, and she had one egg in her nest. The following night, when I went to close her up for the night, she did NOT look like her normal self. And she didn't greet me with the normal clucking sounds like she usually does. She was very stiff. She flew up to her perch, but I could tell she was very uncomfortable. Her but kept on contracting. She tried to sleep, but her eyes kept on opening.

After I closed up the other chickens, when I came back, there was a broken egg on the ground, right below my hen. It had a very soft shell. I was relieved, thinking that she was uncomfortable because she had to lay another egg. Less than 10 minutes passed, and she looked very uncomfortable again. Sure enough, another egg popped out, with a VERY soft shell, just like the second one. So she laid 3 eggs in one day, two within 10 minutes of eachother!

She is now back to normail again, laying one egg a day, but I was just wondering if anyone knew the casue of this??? The only thing I can think of is that the weather was really hot for a week, around 27 degrees Celcius, and then it became very cold, around 5 degrees Celcius. Could the weather have caused this? Or should I be concerned of something else? Thankyou

This is 4 years old post but very pertinent topic. My 20 weeks old austrolarp produced 3 eggs yesterday, maybe 4. This post was good to read as no vet was helpful.
how it happened: she laid one egg in a morning as usual but by 4pm she did not look happy so I brought her home to observe closely. I brought her to the laundry where I keep mealworms. I gave her one but she took it without the usual excitement. Her tail was down and she squatted and an egg came out. The egg had a very soft shell. She still did not look great so I put her on my laps, she looked comfortable for a while. Then she jump down on the floor and squeezed another egg. This one had a well formed yolk but the shell look like a skin. She felt better after that. However all these extra eggs were laid between 4pm and 7pm with me on the phone from one vet to another without much help. There were few very warm days and suddenly got cold . This is very similar to the original story.

Same EXACT story as the OP. My cream legbar, 6 months old, laid her egg this morning with her sister. All day she was crabby, squawking... in and out of the nest, looking at it like there was something in there. I built their coop like Ft. Knox so I knew nothing was in there but she was making me second guess myself. Her sister even squeezed into the nest box with her a few times, I thought to show her that everything was a-ok in there. Anyway, I tucked them in at 8pm and decided to check the coop cam when I got back to the house. Maybe she was really trying to tell me something earlier?

She was roosting backwards and her head was hanging low and then her tail lifted. Plop! I thought it was poop. The camera isn't perfectly clear at night. 🤷‍♀️ then a few minutes later, her tail lifted and Plop! That one looked really big so I went out to check... and there they were, 2 soft shell eggs! I've never seen anything like this. 3 eggs in one day... just bizarre.

I'm so glad the OP posted this because I started to freak out. So glad her girl returned to normal afterward. I'm hoping for the same. I really thought she was losing her marbles today 😂

One of my hens laid two in a day. Second one had a skin like shell. It wasn’t 3 eggs, but still!
@KristHen very cool that you caught that egg plop from the roost on a webcam! I have found an egg on occasion under the roost. I don’t know which hen is doing it...need to get me a coop cam! :caf :ya

One of my hens laid two in a day. Second one had a skin like shell. It wasn’t 3 eggs, but still!
@KristHen very cool that you caught that egg plop from the roost on a webcam! I have found an egg on occasion under the roost. I don’t know which hen is doing it...need to get me a coop cam! :caf :ya
In 3 years of lying hens, I've not even seen a softshell egg 😂 yes, it's just like skin! Yes, get a coop cam!

This exact thing has happened to one of my young girls, she’s a Bluebelle pullet, been laying for about a month. She’s laying one egg early in the day and then two shell-less eggs in quick succession later on. Also had a warm weather spell followed by a cooler spell (not cold though). Hmm. Did anyone’s chickens get sick after this? It seems like I should be worried but then reading these posts makes me feel ok about it, but maybe I should be concerned?

Back
Top Bottom