My Hen Laid THREE eggs in one day!!!

This exact thing has happened to one of my young girls, she’s a Bluebelle pullet, been laying for about a month. She’s laying one egg early in the day and then two shell-less eggs in quick succession later on. Also had a warm weather spell followed by a cooler spell (not cold though). Hmm. Did anyone’s chickens get sick after this? It seems like I should be worried but then reading these posts makes me feel ok about it, but maybe I should be concerned?
It was worrisome! My girl was perfectly fine afterward. No further issues.

Hi ladies. It's quite some time after this thread was started, but I am having a similar problem with my RIR Hybrid pullet. She started laying 6-7 weeks ago. The first few weeks everything was normal but the last month or so she has been laying her normal egg in the morning and in the late afternoon she looks off. I take her inside and over the course of the evening she will lay egg and this one is always soft shelled. The last time it happened I ended up having to put her in an Espom salt bath and afterwards left her in the bathroom with the shower on (top tip for egg bound hens-leave in steamy room after salt bath and the stuck egg comes out quickly) and after an hour or so she laid 2 soft shelled eggs. The problem here is that it keeps happening. Wasn't just an isolated occurrence unfortunately. I am thinking I may have to get her implanted if this problem doesn't phase out. Advice?

Hi ladies. It's quite some time after this thread was started, but I am having a similar problem with my RIR Hybrid pullet. She started laying 6-7 weeks ago. The first few weeks everything was normal but the last month or so she has been laying her normal egg in the morning and in the late afternoon she looks off. I take her inside and over the course of the evening she will lay egg and this one is always soft shelled. The last time it happened I ended up having to put her in an Espom salt bath and afterwards left her in the bathroom with the shower on (top tip for egg bound hens-leave in steamy room after salt bath and the stuck egg comes out quickly) and after an hour or so she laid 2 soft shelled eggs. The problem here is that it keeps happening. Wasn't just an isolated occurrence unfortunately. I am thinking I may have to get her implanted if this problem doesn't phase out. Advice?
Hi, I just saw this post and have had exactly the same thing happening with my little polish hen who is around a year old.
What did you end up doing?
This has been happening every 3 or so days to my girl for about the last month and I feel like it’s taking such a toll on her tiny body. We have tried giving calcium and baths etc but it keeps happening.

Hi, I just saw this post and have had exactly the same thing happening with my little polish hen who is around a year old.
What did you end up doing?
This has been happening every 3 or so days to my girl for about the last month and I feel like it’s taking such a toll on her tiny body. We have tried giving calcium and baths etc but it keeps happening.
Hey sorry just seen this now. I started giving her Black Soldier Fly Larvae every day. It has 7 times the amount of calcium as oyster shell grit. And can be given long-term. I eggcup full per hen per day. I haven't had any issues with my girl since September and I reckon it's down to this. Try it and see how she goes. If not you may have to get her an implant.

My hen is about 9 months old. She lays one egg a day. One day, I went to collect the eggs, and she had one egg in her nest. The following night, when I went to close her up for the night, she did NOT look like her normal self. And she didn't greet me with the normal clucking sounds like she usually does. She was very stiff. She flew up to her perch, but I could tell she was very uncomfortable. Her but kept on contracting. She tried to sleep, but her eyes kept on opening.

After I closed up the other chickens, when I came back, there was a broken egg on the ground, right below my hen. It had a very soft shell. I was relieved, thinking that she was uncomfortable because she had to lay another egg. Less than 10 minutes passed, and she looked very uncomfortable again. Sure enough, another egg popped out, with a VERY soft shell, just like the second one. So she laid 3 eggs in one day, two within 10 minutes of eachother!

She is now back to normail again, laying one egg a day, but I was just wondering if anyone knew the casue of this??? The only thing I can think of is that the weather was really hot for a week, around 27 degrees Celcius, and then it became very cold, around 5 degrees Celcius. Could the weather have caused this? Or should I be concerned of something else? Thankyou
This just happened today to my golden comet exactly as you described with your hen. The weather was crazy with a tornado warning and it got hot and humid and hasn’t been that warm this Spring. Crazy!!!

Back
Top Bottom