My hen laid two strange eggs this morning

IncognitoMode4723

In the Brooder
May 1, 2022
One of my hens (Bertha, who is almost 3 years old now) was acting a little differently this morning. Instead of running around, eating grass and bugs as usual, she mostly stayed in the same spot for a while. She had her butt slightly open as she did this. I was not sure whether she had trouble pooing or was trying to lay an egg, so I kept an eye on her. About 20 minutes later, I saw her trying to lay a deformed egg. Right after laying the deformed egg, she laid another egg.

20230703_081405.jpg

20230703_081405-jpg.3565619

The second egg was not deformed. It looked like an otherwise normal egg, except that it just had a soft shell.

20230703_081935.jpg

I opened the soft-shelled egg to check the inside. There were no abnormalities inside - I did not see any worms or anything else.

A little while later, Bertha went back to doing her normal activities. I am still worried, however. I just wanted to ask everyone why this would happen, and what I can do about this?

I know that hens lay bad eggs once in a while - my hens have laid soft shelled eggs once before. I am not sure about the first egg, however. I have never seen them lay anything like that before.

That first blob of material looks like it might be a lash egg - which isn't an egg at all. It's a buildup of pus and other tissues, being expelled from her oviduct - which is a result of an infection called salpingitis. I'll just direct you to this article for all the gory details:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/what-is-a-lash-egg-all-you-need-to-know-more.77939/
The second, soft-shelled egg, could be a result of the same condition. It just didn't get enough calcium or whatever to form the shell.
I'd treat her pronto with antibiotics, and start dosing calcium tablets daily, until you see she's laying normally again - if she ever does. Or take her to a vet for evaluation and treatment.
Good luck with this.

This morning (7/6) Bertha laid a normal egg. There are no abnormalities in the shell or inside the egg. (The crack marks are because I broke it open to check inside)

What does this mean?

20230706_134229.jpg
20230706_134146.jpg

Back
Top Bottom