My Hen pecked me for first time

LizThumm

Chirping
Jul 31, 2020
Ohio
Hi all. I know this may sound silly. I have just 3 hens. I spoil rotten. I’ve been sick then broke my arm so they rarely seen me. My brother in law has been tending them. They hear my voice the run out of house looking for me. Three days ago, I went into run to show brother how I changed their water and my Rock pecked my leg. Almost like where have you been but it hurt lol. Today I went in by myself to check the small cup of treats I keep in the roost and she started for me again but I told her to get and she backed off. Is it because I was gone for a few days? Lol idk

Hi all. I know this may sound silly. I have just 3 hens. I spoil rotten. I’ve been sick then broke my arm so they rarely seen me. My brother in law has been tending them. They hear my voice the run out of house looking for me. Three days ago, I went into run to show brother how I changed their water and my Rock pecked my leg. Almost like where have you been but it hurt lol. Today I went in by myself to check the small cup of treats I keep in the roost and she started for me again but I told her to get and she backed off. Is it because I was gone for a few days? Lol idk
If you take one of your hens and put her in another coop, she will loose her pecking position after a few days. You probably lost your position....................

Pecking is how chickens communicate. The peck on the back of the leg by a hen usually means, "Notice me. Please notice me." She probably missed you.

Next time she does that, turn around, stoop and reach out your hands to her. She may surprise you and come in close for a scratch or even a hug.

I have two hens that adore being held. They also come when I call their names. When they get right at my feet, they "paw" the ground with their foot while looking up at me. I've come to recognize this means, "pick me up and hold me close."

Chicken sign language can be very interesting.

Pecking is how chickens communicate. The peck on the back of the leg by a hen usually means, "Notice me. Please notice me." She probably missed you.

Next time she does that, turn around, stoop and reach out your hands to her. She may surprise you and come in close for a scratch or even a hug.

I have two hens that adore being held. They also come when I call their names. When they get right at my feet, they "paw" the ground with their foot while looking up at me. I've come to recognize this means, "pick me up and hold me close."

Chicken sign language can be very interesting.
Mine tend to run when it comes to being held but they know my voice. If they hear me from in the coop they come running out. I did hold them a lot as chicks, and have had to tend two after neighbors dogs attacked them they let me hold pet everything. Anyway, my Betty did back off when I told her too. I still can’t tend to them properly but I’m making sure I am seeing them and giving them their treats since she pecked me that day lol.

My hens squat down in a mating position when I pet them, and they don't like to be lifted up and held. They will peck my feet if I don't pet them first.

One of my 6 month old pullets will start pecking and biting if I’m still. I think she’s thinking if it doesn’t move it’s dead therefore food! :gig Seriously though I’ve had to hold her down to submit several times. A friendly peck is one thing, putting her whole body into a bite is different. I’d probably “send her to college” if she wasn’t laying a jumbo egg every day!

Back
Top Bottom