My hen started acting funny today.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rhino1, Apr 30, 2017.

1. rhino1

rhino1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2015
    around Savannah, GA
    All of my chickens are in one pen most of the time. I have a large run for them that I let them out most days while Ivan at work. Today I let them out in the back yard for a few hours and noticed one didn't come out. I walked over to her and she let me get kind of close But ran from me once I got really close. My chicks aren't pets, they don't let me pick them up but aren't completely scared of me. But she let me get closer to normal, she is usually more "wild".
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) americauna, (spell check), 2 1/2 years old, not sure if the weight. Seems lighter than normal and the other girls.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. A little it lethargic. She acts disoriented. At first I thought she was just focused on something in the coop, but she was just confused acting at first. I put some more feed in there feeder and she ran over to it. She seems to have the feathers around her head puffed up. She lets me actually catch her. Then tonight when I went in to count them and lock them up she was roosting on the ground with her feathers kind of out. She got up flee when I got close but didn't go far before she let me grab her.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Just noticed it this afternoon.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
    5) Is there any bleeding? No bleeding. There is a lot of poop under her butt and there seems to be a bunch of fluid secreting from her. I'm not sure which orifice it's coming from yet.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. No clue
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Normal feed , some scratch and water. Just separated her to see What She does
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Not sure, she been in with other birds and I haven't noticed any abnormal.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Nothing yet.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself. I will do whatever I can. Not going to take her to the vet.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Nothing to really photo really
    12) Describe the housing/beddinng in use she's been in a 10x20 coop and a fairly large run during the day. She has always seemed to stay in the egg box area at night. I never made anything to block them out at night. There is straw in there. Now she is in an A frame tractor with a roost in the top. A 2x4 perch

Her belly/rear feels very full and stuff. I had her on her back and there seemed to be some fluid coming out of her rear. I think it's the hole the egg comes out. Not sure if the proper name at the moment. If I massaged her stomach area, it seemed to secrete out. A lot of poop caught up in her feathers as well.

2. rhino1

Feb 28, 2015
    around Savannah, GA
    Also, her crop seems empty. It seems like anytime I have handled them, you can always feel their crop. Hers does not feel the same

3. MyHappyGirls

MyHappyGirls Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2016
    Soquel, Ca
    Does her breastbone feel like it has no meat on it?

4. MyHappyGirls

Sep 11, 2016
    Soquel, Ca
  5. rhino1

Feb 28, 2015
    around Savannah, GA
    Thanks, I'm at work Today. I went out early this morning and made sure water and food were easy to get to. It was day light out and she would move a little and just stand there for a while. Then move, and stand there for awhile. She probably only moved to three different places this morning in 20-30 mins.

I guess you could say she is walking funny. I will try and get home early enough to pay more attention, I'll check out that site as well

6. rhino1

Feb 28, 2015
    around Savannah, GA
    Just saw her poop, very runny, greenish yellow

7. rhino1

Feb 28, 2015
    around Savannah, GA
    She stays in one spot for a very long time. She's in a spot I can't get to her, but she will hardly move. She can walk. I came home and she has been in the same spot, standing for around 3 hours. I was trying to get to her, and she did move away from me. Then she laid down on the ground. It's weird

8. MyHappyGirls

Sep 11, 2016
    Soquel, Ca
    Are you able to brung her to the vet?
    Or can you feel her abdomen does it feel squishy like a water baloon?
    Doe it feel hot?
    It sounds like what I am going through, I had to bring Blue(my hen) to the vet and she got drained & had to be on antibiotics for two weeks, she is now on a homeopathic remedy called hepar-sulph, and she is doing much better, but I think that draining & antibiotics were important. I know that a long long time ago people used homeopathic remedies so I believe they work and I think they work they same on humans as they do on animals. So the symptom checker should really help on the website abc homeopathy that I posted yesterday. [​IMG]

9. MyHappyGirls

Sep 11, 2016
    Soquel, Ca
    I found a remedy using dandelion tea (add 1 cup hot water to tea bag then let tea bag steep overnight) mix with feed or give by syringe 4x per day until symptoms improve then twice per day until normal again. Also you can give kali-phos again 4x per day until symptoms improve then 2x day the link to read is http://www.henhugger.co.uk/holistic-hen-health.html
    Look at their treatments for acites and egg peritonitis
    It sounds hopeful [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by