My Hen still laying thin shells

HoP

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 11, 2009
Portland
Hello I hope someone can help me out here
I have five chickens and they are all laying, however, I have a lace Wyandotte that for the last two or three months is laying eggs that break as she lays them..they are so thin shelled.
I have bought two different types of egg laying food, mixed in oyster shells, checked for lice or any visible signs of stress and nothing.
She is healthy weight and her and the rest have free range of my back yard. What eggs she lays that do not break while coming out, my EE will go in and settle down to lay her egg and invariably crush the Wyandottes egg, then I end up giving my EE a bath, since she has crushed egg all over her chest and legs..
If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. Thanks!

1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar per gallon of water helps the hen absorb nutrients by the effect on the pH in the digestive system.

Vitamin D3 is used by hens to help create strong egg shells.

I had a hen laying soft shells, and I pulverized some shells in the food processor, I mixed that powder with a crushed D3 tablet (very cheap, at WalMart in the vitamin section) and some layer feed, and some yogurt or water to make it hold together. Within a few days her shell was back to normal.

Hens that lay daily have a pretty big calcium demand on their bodies, especially if they lay the ex. large or Jumbo sized eggs. You may want to feed them their own egg shells crushed - mine prefer chicken egg shells to oyster shells.

Thanks!
I usually throw the egg in my garden bin. I also feed them cottage cheese and yogurt.
My EE lays the thickest shelled eggs ever and she lays ever single day..the others including the Wyandotte do not, so that is surprising that my EE lays thick shelled and she also had a case of nasty lice! I thought the Wyandotte had lice as well, but she was the only one..(MY EE). I also worm them too.
Never thought about Apple cider vinegar. I hear its good for dogs as well, since my feathered girls all drink out of the dogs water bowl. (My five dogs and five chickens all co-mingle)
big_smile.png

I will try the Vitamin D3. Thank YOU!

One other method that does work on hens no getting enough calcium is tp put oyster shell mixed with can cat food... they all seem to love this mix....they all like to take there amount to eat and sometimes come back for seconds.....it certainly will not hurt them! Good luck!

I had a Buff Orpington that did this, a few years ago. Nothing ever changed the shell. She quit laying at about 6 months & died right after her first molt. Don't want to be a "downer", but sometimes it's genetics and just can't be fixed.

I had a Buff Orpington that did this, a few years ago. Nothing ever changed the shell. She quit laying at about 6 months & died right after her first molt. Don't want to be a "downer", but sometimes it's genetics and just can't be fixed.
Sorry you lost your bird. What you say is true, and a really sobering fact. We all will do whatever we can too, to try to help them along.

Just curious, how old was yor Orpington when she began to lay--- she only lived a couple of months after starting up, I take it. ?

1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar per gallon of water helps the hen absorb nutrients by the effect on the pH in the digestive system.

Vitamin D3 is used by hens to help create strong egg shells.

I had a hen laying soft shells, and I pulverized some shells in the food processor, I mixed that powder with a crushed D3 tablet (very cheap, at WalMart in the vitamin section) and some layer feed, and some yogurt or water to make it hold together. Within a few days her shell was back to normal.

Hens that lay daily have a pretty big calcium demand on their bodies, especially if they lay the ex. large or Jumbo sized eggs. You may want to feed them their own egg shells crushed - mine prefer chicken egg shells to oyster shells.
Hi I saw this post about you giving your Hen Vit D3 tablets I have a hen that has been going through issues with shelless and soft shells I have had her on a vitamin water I hot at the feed
store for a week or so but they say D3 may be
more of a focus needed for her what dosage were you giving her ?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom