My hen swallowed a screw

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by branagh, Jun 30, 2008.

1. branagh

branagh Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2007
    Nova Scotia
    My hen swallowed a 3/4" screw today after I dropped it on the ground while putting a hatch on the run.

I looked and it was gone. I guess she thought it was a bug or worm.

Can a chicken pass a screw through their digestive tract? My worst worry is that it will lodge itself and cause blood poisoning.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Robert

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

More than likely it will lodge in her gizzard. I have found some very interesting things in gizzards! If it was small, it should do alright. If larger, it may impact things a bit. This last processing of my birds yielded some glass and several of the boys' air soft BBs!

Anyone else have experience with this?

3. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    When I was little, my grandmother had a barred-rock named Fred who swallowed an entire fishing lure. [​IMG]

My uncle had gone fishing and had leaned the poles against the back door when he was done. Fred came over and ate a rubber worm that had a hook inside. Unfortunately, Fred had to be put down because the hook became lodged in his throat. [​IMG]

My grandmother baked him up for dinner, and every time my she peeked in the oven to check on him she would shake her head and say, "Poor Fred."

Needless to say, most of us weren't interested in eating chicken that night! [​IMG]

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    There is a post on here about a family that used magnets to work a screw or something similar out of a chicken's crop.

Do a search on 'magnet' and see what you can find!

Hope your chicken does OK

5. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    It was a nurse and she used a couple of cow magnets to work the screw out of the crop and up into the mouth and retrieved it. Find that post!

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If the screw isn't stuck in the throat, don't worry. It will be used as grit in the gizzard or just passed.

7. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    what kind of screw is it and what is diameter and length of it??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by