My hen wants to roost on the back porch instead of in her roost - Help!

Lori J

Songster
5 Years
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I'm Lori and I'm new. I've had three chickens for a year now and couple of weeks ago one of my hens began roosting on the back porch at night instead of in the roost with the other chickens. Once or twice the other two chickens will join her, but she is the one who has been doing it consistently. Let me add that she is a black speckled Plymouth Rock hen and the other two are white Leghorns, and sometimes they seem to stick together and leave her out of things. Any tips on why she is doing this? She watches my dogs go in and out and she has even tried to come into the house and roost at night through the pet door. Any thoughts or suggestions? Is this a lonely chicken?

I have 4 chickens and I have noticed that my light colored chickens tend to keep together and my black ones do the same. Not sure if that's why she is not included as much

Yikes, I just found my wandering hen asleep on the back porch again - in the rain! The other night when it rained she somehow knew to get in the coop, so I assumed she would do the same tonight. I should have checked to make sure because now she is drenched!

What is your coop like and what is your climate?
Posting pics of coop and adding location to profile can help garner viable answers/suggestions.
She may be low bird and coop may be too small and/or too hot for comfort.

What is your coop like and what is your climate?
Posting pics of coop and adding location to profile can help garner viable answers/suggestions.
She may be low bird and coop may be too small and/or too hot for comfort.
X2

If all checks or and she's just being a goober retraining is generally fairly easy.
Securing them inside the coop during roosting hours is pretty important protection against predators, so making needed adjustments (if any are identified once we see your setup) and retraining her would be priority for me

Back
Top Bottom