My hen won’t stand up.

swseeds

Chirping
Mar 27, 2019
I just brought her inside and she is just laying like this. She seems to have diarrhea. I don’t know what to do. None of my hens have been laying in over 6 weeks. I don’t feel an egg though, not sure where to check. Her comb is bloody

please help, she is now laying with her eyes closed. I have brought her indoors

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpeg
    IMG_0008.jpeg
    610.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0005.jpeg
    IMG_0005.jpeg
    38.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0011.jpeg
    IMG_0011.jpeg
    495.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0008.jpeg
    IMG_0008.jpeg
    610.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0007.jpeg
    IMG_0007.jpeg
    460 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0004.jpeg
    IMG_0004.jpeg
    598.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0010.jpeg
    IMG_0010.jpeg
    462.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Resized_Resized_20231201_112210.jpeg
    Resized_Resized_20231201_112210.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Resized_Resized_20231201_112159.jpeg
    Resized_Resized_20231201_112159.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 8
I just brought her inside and she is just laying like this. She seems to have diarrhea. I don’t know what to do. None of my hens have been laying in over 6 weeks. I don’t feel an egg though, not sure where to check. Her comb is bloody

please help, she is now laying with her eyes closed. I have brought her indoor
I would bring her to a vet. But to check for a egg you go near their vent and about an inch or two around it and if it feels hard there is an egg. But she would need to be showing signs of being egg bound like squatting like a penguin and im sure there are others but thats the one i know is a clear sign.

I would bring her to a vet. But to check for a egg you go near their vent and about an inch or two around it and if it feels hard there is an egg. But she would need to be showing signs of being egg bound like squatting like a penguin and im sure there are others but thats the one i know is a clear sign.
I know you mean well but that's often impossible to do.
Having a vet willing to see chickens, let alone one that knows anything about chickens, is rare. And chickens are typically labeled 'exotic animals', so a visit starts at $300. :]

I know you mean well but that's often impossible to do.
Having a vet willing to see chickens, let alone one that knows anything about chickens, is rare. And chickens are typically labeled 'exotic animals', so a visit starts at $300. :]
Dang it. Im sorry, i plan on studying to become a vet for large animals and hopefully that includes chickens, i wish i could truly help more

I would bring her to a vet. But to check for an egg you go near their vent and about an inch or two around it and if it feels hard there is an egg. But she would need to be showing signs of being egg bound like squatting like a penguin and im sure there are others but thats the one i know is a clear sign.
Hello I have called the vets around me that see chickens and no one can see her. She is now just on her side.

Sorry to hear about your hen.
What's her diet?
Age?
Vaccinated?
She is 3 years old. Diet is lettuce, chicken feed, scrabbled rags and sometimes corn on the comb.

i got her to drink a little and then she immediately had a watery discharge.

What is going on with her comb? Her right foot and ankle look swollen. Does she move it or have any green bruising? The way she is lying with one leg out front brings to mind Mareks disease. Her diet should be chicken feed for 90% of it, and I would skip the corn and lettuce. Some egg is okay. She probably needs to be separated in a dog crate with food and water, to rest the foot. Make sure that she can reach her food and water throughout the day. A chicken sling with food and water might be something to use. Here are some examples in post 5, 11-14:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Back
Top Bottom