My hen won't go into the coop at night.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Churkenduse, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I had my first attack in three years a fox got into the coop and took one of my hens. Awhile ago a hawk took off with a different hen and my dog jumped him and saved that hen, now that is the hen that refuses to go in the coop. She must be really scared between the two incidences.
    She sleeps on the nest box that sticks out the side of the coop. She is close to the house so she is getting some protection.
    What do you all think I should do? I was grabbing her and putting her in but I don't think I should do that. She did go in on one of the rainy nights but I am worried about the snows, we can get some heavy snows here. If it starts to snow in the middle of the night she has no way of getting in.
    Should I just let her learn the lesson herself?
    Any suggestions? what do you all do?
    Thanks

2. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    I say keep putting her in. Block off that nest box. Once she sees that there's no danger in the coop, she'll go in eventually. Keep putting her in, and don't let her out. I've had the same thing happen before, and it worked for me! Just keep trying. And if that doesn't work... she could be a house chicken? [​IMG]

Nick

3. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I agree with the above post. Keep putting her in and she will get the idea.

4. Churkenduse

Jan 1, 2008
    Thanks for your input, that was my first thought but I was afraind to interfere with nature.
    I will do that til she Gets It!

5. janen_33

janen_33 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2009
    BTW, hurray for your dog that is awesome! [​IMG]

6. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    I agree- about the putting her in and the dog!

7. Churkenduse

Jan 1, 2008
    Thanks he actually did it twice, I yelled for him the drop the bird and he did then he looked at me like I was crazy that the hens were family and then he jumped him again. The momentum took the hen over the fence and she lay still til I pciked her up my dog raced over lay to his body on her to protect her and she went nuts on me.
    Gotta love our pets they are amazing.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I recommend putting her inside and closing up the coop at night. Sleeping outside she is more vulnerable to attack. Unless the fox has been removed, both it and the hawk will return.

9. Churkenduse

Jan 1, 2008
    The hawk comes back all the time, I have taken steps to help them hide from the hawk, she got taken by him, I believe she was molting and weak.
    I also chase him like a nut when I see him.
    The fox is still a threat. I will put her in every night.
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by