My Hen Won't Mate My Rooster

Here is my problem, I had an overly agressive Polish Crested rooster that attacked everything and everybody. He was raised with my hens from three days old. Half the hens were older half were same age. I have RIR, Crested, Ameracauna, Wyandotte, Welsummer, Marans, and one sex-link. He was a great rooster, bred everyone, just became too agressive. A friend of mine raises chickens free range and was looking for a rooster. I traded him the rooster for a Silkie rooster and two hens. The Silkie had been kept with multiple roosters and hens. He is approximately 1 year old. We did the slow integration of the Silkies and the rest of the girls, everything went fine. They all get along wonderfully except for one thing. He only breeds the Silkie hens. He isnt too small, he just doesnt seem interested. I have observed some of my hens trying to get his attention, but he ignores them. He will share treats with all the hens, he is a good rooster, but won't mate anyone but the Silkies. Any thoughts on this?

I have had hatches of several breeds coming off together. They are raised together, but when they are more mature they often tend to group according to breed. Silkies with Silkies, Black Rosecombs with BR, and so on. I suggest you could try to separate the Silky Hens from the rooster for a while send see if he will mate other hens. Or... Get a second rooster.
Chickens imprint just like ducks or geese. I had a rooster that had been raised with ducks. He thought he was a duck. He went everywhere with them(not in the water), and mated with the female ducks. Your Silky was probably raised by a Silky mother and with Silky broodmates. Hard to change him.

Hello everybody.

I have a similar problem. I have a set of polish chicken (1 male 2 females) females are young 7-8 months while the male is mature and active (approx 18 months old). The hens have never allowed the male to cross with them. One of those hen has just started laying yet she is not agreeing to sit and let the male mate and therefore i have so far had 4-5 infertile eggs.

The male is active and keeps trying but she just runs around. All three are same polish breed and mutation

Need help and advise...

Hello everybody.

I have a similar problem. I have a set of polish chicken (1 male 2 females) females are young 7-8 months while the male is mature and active (approx 18 months old). The hens have never allowed the male to cross with them. One of those hen has just started laying yet she is not agreeing to sit and let the male mate and therefore i have so far had 4-5 infertile eggs.

The male is active and keeps trying but she just runs around. All three are same polish breed and mutation

Need help and advise...

You problem is better addressed to people into Polish Chickens as there may be a visual problem with that hairdoo. My birds with impaired vision are more problematic.

Consider keep females separate from male for a couple days then releasing them together.

I think you should get a nail trimmer scissors and trim the feathers around the eyes so these hens can see what is going on. You are not showing them, so give the poor girls the gift of eyesight. Normal behavior requires normal conditions.

Hello everybody.

Need help and advise...
vh

Your pullets are also young. Generally, they're not ready to accept a rooster's attention before they're ready to start laying.

The hens are approximately 8 months old and have just started laying.

I have their crest nicely tied up like a high pony so they can see everything around. It just that the hen on eggs just doesnt let the roo mate her and i am getting infertile eggs.

The layer young hen is just not ready to mate with the roo and that is a cause of huge concern

Not sure it would help, but if you have another very experienced rooster you might try him. A rooster with no crest would be best. Have these hens ever been with another rooster that is still around - maybe even in an adjoining pen? I had to clip the wings on some young RJF hens as they wanted to hang out with my Fayoumi rooster. They had 2 nice RJF roosters with them, but I guess they were not big enough and macho enough for them. Anyway, only one chick was from the Fayoumi and the rest were RJF. Once they start mating they might accept their Polish rooster. Even my old rescue hens started mating (under protest) within a couple of days of putting them in with the Fayoumi. I think you need a very aggressive and experienced rooster.

Hello, maybe someone can help me..I notice yesterday that I have 3 of my hens that their feathers right under their tale is gone, it looks shaving,did Mr Chico (my roo) do this to them??..I have 7 hens & 1 roo..I am new to all this as u probably can tell, my RR hens are do pretty & lay me eggs everyday, they 6 months old if that helps, but when I seen their feathers gone I freak out..Ty all in advance, Have a Good Day..

I hope you are feeding your chickens a good diet with lots of protein. One of my hens likes to pick the neck feathers of my rooster. A bad habit. I have separated her. Picking around the vent could lead to serious cannibalism. Make sure they have lots of space and lots to do. Are they free range or just in a small pen with no vegetation? If in a small pen, hang up bunches of leaves and grass that they can pick at and eat. Change them every day . Boredom is bad and causes many bad habits.

Back
Top Bottom