My hen won't stand up or eat

Ginhay-Roper

In the Brooder
Nov 8, 2020
My hen, Henrietta, won't stand up or eat. She is drinking a ton but ignores me when when I have treats or her regular food. I have no idea what to do. She has seemed depressed for the last week because she wouldn't scratch around the yard or act like a regular chicken, she would just stand in the corner of the yard and watch her friends scratch around. I think she might also be cold, she is shivering while she is sitting in the coop. In think the majority of the problem is depression. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do?

Last edited:
My hen, Henrietta, won't stand up or eat. She is drinking a ton but ignores me when when I have treats or her regular food. I have no idea what to do. She has seemed depressed for the last week because she wouldn't scratch around the yard or act like a regular chicken, she would just stand in the corner of the yard and watch her friends scratch around. I think she might also be cold, she is shivering while she is sitting in the coop. In think the majority of the problem is depression. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do?
Please post some photos of your hen and her poop.
Does she lay eggs?
How old is she?
Is she vaccinated for Marek's?

It sounds like she's not well at all and if she's shivering she needs some added warmth. Can you place her in a kennel in a warm area so you can monitor her more closely?

If she's drinking a lot of water, feel of her crop - tell us what that's like.

Has she had any issues before this - trouble laying eggs, lice/mites/worms, etc.?

Please post some photos of your hen and her poop.
Does she lay eggs?
How old is she?
Is she vaccinated for Marek's?

It sounds like she's not well at all and if she's shivering she needs some added warmth. Can you place her in a kennel in a warm area so you can monitor her more closely?

If she's drinking a lot of water, feel of her crop - tell us what that's like.

Has she had any issues before this - trouble laying eggs, lice/mites/worms, etc.?
I will post some pictures in about half an hour but I can answer the questions now. Her poop is really watery because of the amount of water she is drinking. She isn't vaccinated for Marek's. She has laid one egg in the last few weeks. I think she is 3 or 4. She had mites a few months ago. New observation: when I lift her up to stand she starts kicking her legs out behind her a few times then sits down. Her crop looks very inflated, I will feel it and report back on that when I post some pictures.

I will post some pictures in about half an hour but I can answer the questions now. Her poop is really watery because of the amount of water she is drinking. She isn't vaccinated for Marek's. She has laid one egg in the last few weeks. I think she is 3 or 4. She had mites a few months ago. New observation: when I lift her up to stand she starts kicking her legs out behind her a few times then sits down. Her crop looks very inflated, I will feel it and report back on that when I post some pictures.
I attached 2 pictures of her poop and one picture of her crop, she feels heavier that she was last time I lifted her. When I lift her she can't stand up at all anymore. When I feel her crop it feels pretty squishy like it is a water balloon.

Attachments

• IMG_20201208_131818575.jpg
    IMG_20201208_131818575.jpg
    762.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20201208_131851850_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201208_131851850_HDR.jpg
    496.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20201208_131923243.jpg
    IMG_20201208_131923243.jpg
    507.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I attached 2 pictures of her poop and one picture of her crop, she feels heavier that she was last time I lifted her. When I lift her she can't stand up at all anymore. When I feel her crop it feels pretty squishy like it is a water balloon.
She may be having some reproductive issues, feel of her abdomen below the vent between her legs to see if you feel any bloat or fluid. Sometimes you can, other times not.

Often a crop that is like a water balloon is sour or turning sour. I've found this is usually a symptom of an underlying condition like reproductive disorders. Worms, coccidiosis and infection are a few other common conditions that can affect crop function.

You could try de-worming, treating for Coccidiosis and the sour crop as well to see if she improves. A vet can perform a fecal float to see if worms and coccidiosis are an issue if you prefer not to medicate her.

Treatment may not help with her being unable to walk, but may make her more comfortable.
Sadly, if the problem is reproductive, there is no real treatment, just supportive care. I do see if my hens will respond quickly to treatment, if not, then I put them down and perform a necropsy. Not something everyone wants to do. If you want to continue trying to treat her, then placing her in a sling may help keep her more upright and cleaner.

I'm sorry that she's not well.

This article is what I follow when treating my birds
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

She may be having some reproductive issues, feel of her abdomen below the vent between her legs to see if you feel any bloat or fluid. Sometimes you can, other times not.

Often a crop that is like a water balloon is sour or turning sour. I've found this is usually a symptom of an underlying condition like reproductive disorders. Worms, coccidiosis and infection are a few other common conditions that can affect crop function.

You could try de-worming, treating for Coccidiosis and the sour crop as well to see if she improves. A vet can perform a fecal float to see if worms and coccidiosis are an issue if you prefer not to medicate her.

Treatment may not help with her being unable to walk, but may make her more comfortable.
Sadly, if the problem is reproductive, there is no real treatment, just supportive care. I do see if my hens will respond quickly to treatment, if not, then I put them down and perform a necropsy. Not something everyone wants to do. If you want to continue trying to treat her, then placing her in a sling may help keep her more upright and cleaner.

I'm sorry that she's not well.

This article is what I follow when treating my birds
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I think she might have sour crop, I did some research and she has all of the symptoms. I picked her up last night and a bunch of water started pouring out of her mouth and after I set her back down she already seemed better so I'm going to treat her for sour crop and see how she is in a day or two. She can almost stand up now too so that is a good sign.

I think she might have sour crop, I did some research and she has all of the symptoms. I picked her up last night and a bunch of water started pouring out of her mouth and after I set her back down she already seemed better so I'm going to treat her for sour crop and see how she is in a day or two. She can almost stand up now too so that is a good sign.
Keep us posted on how she's doing.

Back
Top Bottom