my hen???????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rhode island red king, Dec 22, 2010.

1. rhode island red king

rhode island red king Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2010
    ky
    ok a few days ago i bought a rir hen at a chicken auction and i have nesting boxes that my other hens lay in but yesterday she laid 2 eggs on the coop floor whats wrong with her?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Nothing. She probably just needs time to settle in. She'll get with the program I'm sure. [​IMG]

By the way, it's always a good idea to quarantine new birds for at least thirty days before adding them to your existing flock. They may appear healthy but be carrying a disease that they could pass on to your flock.

3. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Yeah like Gritsar said, she just needs to get familiarize to her new enviroment, once she gets used to t she'll lay in the correct place.
    And I'd follow gritsar's advise to quarantine your new chicken, at a chicken auction you see a lot of chickens some of them migght carry deseases and passit on to the hen that you bought but she wont show sings of it right away, thats why you give it 30 days to make sure she's not carrying any diseases.

4. oconnorfamily25

oconnorfamily25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Two eggs in a day?!???!?!?!?!?!?!

5. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Quote:shes a prized hen if your getting 2 in one day lol, and usually after the stress of being moved and all they stop laying til they settle in. Some will lay every where but where they should..lol

6. 44Wolves

44Wolves Here is Your New Title

Jun 28, 2009
    Nothing is wrong with her. She might not even know where to lay it. Put golfballs or fake eggs in the nesing boxes. It's what I do!!!!!

7. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    She will get it right when she gets more comfy.
    P.S quarantine is good idea for the future.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    While I've never had a hen lay two eggs in one day, I won't say it's impossible.

She was moved from her previous home, to the auction, to a new home. Generally an egg comes out when it needs to come out, but who's to say she wasn't uptight about all the commotion and held onto one for a bit?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by