My hens and rooster are enemies

Stop letting him in the pen, keep him on the opposite side of a fence so they can see each other but not hurt for at least 2weeks.
I didn't know I was supposed to quarantine them until it was a few days after, I will keep this in mind for next time, but I'm sure he is a very healthy rooster, also thank you for the suggestion! ^^

I didn't know I was supposed to quarantine them until it was a few days after, I will keep this in mind for next time, but I'm sure he is a very healthy rooster, also thank you for the suggestion! ^^
I'm suggesting how to introduce them slowly so they don't kill him, it's called the see but no touch method. :]
edit: not to be confused with quarantine, different things.

It also may play in that he is a banty roo, with standard hens. The hens will be more dominant since they're bigger then him.. And they already have an established pecking order.
I've never really had good luck trying to Integrate banty's to a standard flock. But it is possible.
I agree on keeping him outside the pen so they all can get used to each other.

30 minutes a day for more than a week is only 3-4 hours total they have had to get to know each other. They need to be separated, but still be able to see each other 24/7. All of my chickens before being integrated are separated by hardware cloth from the rest 24/7 for a full month before I allow them to integrate. On another note older hens will boss around a younger cockerel and to a degree it can be good thing as long as they are not actively injuring the cockerel. My best roosters had their butts kicked a few times by my older hens when they were cockerels. They grew up to be respectful roosters to both other chickens and humans. The cockerels I had who did not have older hens to push them around are the ones who turned into terrors.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom