My hens are bullying the pullets

LegbarMama

Songster
Mar 17, 2021
I could really use some advice! I've integrated pullets into existing flocks before with few problems but this time is different. I have 4 golden comet hens and a rooster. They all have grown up together and I have two pullets around 11 weeks old that I've been trying to integrate into the flock. My rooster loves them! My hens do not. He will mate the pullets and while he's doing it the hens all gather round and peck the pullets face 😭 They are so aggressive! Idk what to do.

Do they do it only when the male is mounting them? Are they drawing blood? I'd just leave them to sort things out themselves, attacks that don't lead to serious injury are to be expected when introducing new birds

How old are the pullets? Stuff like that is normal when adding new chickens. Just make sure the pullets are not too stressed or injured
They're around 12 weeks. They seem so stressed, I allow them all to free range during the day and as soon as I put them in the run this afternoon the pullets were at the door crying for me and the hens started chasing them around. They have drawn blood and pulled feathers out 😔

Do they do it only when the male is mounting them? Are they drawing blood? I'd just leave them to sort things out themselves, attacks that don't lead to serious injury are to be expected when introducing new birds
It's not just when the rooster mounts them, it's constantly as long as they are near. When I let them all out in the mornings the pullets run to the food like they've been kept away from it

They're around 12 weeks. They seem so stressed, I allow them all to free range during the day and as soon as I put them in the run this afternoon the pullets were at the door crying for me and the hens started chasing them around. They have drawn blood and pulled feathers out 😔
Hmm I would say keep them inside the coop on a separate cage for a few days. The hens can still look at them but not hurt them. Then you could try to re introduce them

Back
Top Bottom