My Hens Are Dying. Can You Help?

Pics
Thank you for some direction.

I will research those breeds and look into the feasibility of small-scale feed production based on your advice.

Edit: I elaborated a bit in a comment below

I'm not sure what kind of feed supplier you have in your area. But we have a small hometown "feed mill", that in addition to the normal brand name bagged stock you can buy at Tractor Supply, has white 50lb bags of "layer feed" that are made there at the feed mill. They actually have big machines etc that make it, and it always is dusty. They have some ratio, of different grains and additives to make sure there is enough protein etc (usually they need 16% protein). But it doesn't have any animal products in it. It isn't organic feed (what is truly organic these days anyway?) but it is all natural. I believe that maybe they use soy as the protein? I'll have to look next time I buy a bag.

Also when it comes to treats, I totally get it. I have 6 hens, and try to toss them one or two handfuls of scratch a day, I scatter it in the hay to make it more of a game. I will toss extra on a super cold day in the single digits. Unlimited layer feed, and in the summer several handfuls of clippings etc.

I did consider this too...

Even though some others theorized I may be overfeeding, it could have been the wrong feed.

Let me clarify though, they get scratch made of cracked corn, oats, or just common scratch.

Also, I was very involved with the hens and made them personalized power treats, along with an array of fresh veggies. I thought they were eating better than I was, they definitely ate more.

Perhaps the demands of this particular breed required more nutrients than an older breed, but this seems like the diet of most domestic birds throughout history to me...not crumbles.

Because of your advice, today I will drop my idealism and buy a bag of pellets just for the sake of experimentation though.

I know I'm new, and I may be getting slightly defensive here:duc, but could their diet cause two vibrant and ravenous hens to suddenly fall dead?

That just seems too coincidental and one was the fattest bird of all and she didn't even take food her last day.

I don't want my pride to get in the way of a thriving flock though. So give it to me straight here!

My other theory is that maybe they ate one of the death angel mushrooms we have growing wild everywhere now.

I have some meal worms I'm raising. And want to eventually make all my own feed.

Is there anyone here that does that successfully?

Once again, thank you!
Sorry for your losses. This reminds me to cut back on the scratch. I raised mealworms for awhile and found them to be almost as entertaining as my hens.

Back
Top Bottom