My hens are NOT LAYING - help!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by raskusbo, Nov 3, 2009.

1. raskusbo

raskusbo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2009
    Fareham, Hampshire UK
    We got 8 ex-battery hens a couple of weeks ago and the first couple of days we had about 4 or 5 eggs and then one a day but now we have had any for about 4 days.

I was wondering whether it is because there aren't getting enough light as it gets light at 7am and is dark by 4pm and was going to put a little in their house. Also we do have two dogs but they aren't barking or upsetting the chickens so i don't think it is that.

Other than that they are fit and well - eating and drinking normally.

Any advice would be greatly appeciated

Thanks
    Vic

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Many factors play into hens and laying. Many times hens will stop laying after being moved. It takes them a while to get comfortable enough to start again. It is a natural defense mechanism. The lack of daylight right now is a really big factor. A hen requires a minimum of 14 hours of daylight to lay efficiently. These being old battery hens, they might just be saying "Ahhh we can take a rest from the torture we were put through". They should start laying again but it will take a few biological changes for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by