My Hens are on Strike.

jykmoy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 6, 2012
They've stopped laying since December '13. When will they begin again? I do not have an electrical power source,so cannot give them sufficient lighting to lay. Am depending on rotation of the planet to get enough light for laying again. Yet. They still keep on eating and eating and eating....Next year: I think I'll start butchering them...Will have to go to YOUTUBE to figure out how to do that.

Thanks for the suggestion. Will have to look at how its rigged. I already use a solar panel for my automatic door closer. It works beautifully. Got it more than 9 months ago and its working perfectly. Solar makes sense. Thanks.

Don't bother with the light until next winter my hens production is starting to pick now that spring is coming and the days are getting longer.
celebrate.gif
In the next few weeks you'll notice the same with your hens.

My chickens used to go on strike during the winter until I changed my coop to an open air coop. They continue to lay at a reduced rate all winter long. I do not add supplemental lighting any more. We do go down to less than 10 hours of sunlight for 2 months. Open air in the winter for my coop means that the bottom 1 foot only has wire and is not blocked by anything. Only the sides and roof (of course) are solid.

Back
Top Bottom