My Hens are on Strike.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jykmoy, Feb 28, 2014.

1. jykmoy

jykmoy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    They've stopped laying since December '13. When will they begin again? I do not have an electrical power source,so cannot give them sufficient lighting to lay. Am depending on rotation of the planet to get enough light for laying again. Yet. They still keep on eating and eating and eating....Next year: I think I'll start butchering them...Will have to go to YOUTUBE to figure out how to do that.

2. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Look on harbor freight they have solar lights that seem easy enough to install, at least they will earn their keep.

3. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Even the dollar stores or Fred's has the small yard solar lights. They'll be enough to get you started. Few bucks.

4. jykmoy

Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestion. Will have to look at how its rigged. I already use a solar panel for my automatic door closer. It works beautifully. Got it more than 9 months ago and its working perfectly. Solar makes sense. Thanks.

5. jykmoy

Mar 6, 2012
    Good idea. Will check in on this.

6. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    Don't bother with the light until next winter my hens production is starting to pick now that spring is coming and the days are getting longer.[​IMG] In the next few weeks you'll notice the same with your hens.

7. mpruett

mpruett Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2011
    My chickens used to go on strike during the winter until I changed my coop to an open air coop. They continue to lay at a reduced rate all winter long. I do not add supplemental lighting any more. We do go down to less than 10 hours of sunlight for 2 months. Open air in the winter for my coop means that the bottom 1 foot only has wire and is not blocked by anything. Only the sides and roof (of course) are solid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by