Could my hens have started laying a month earlier in the "spring" than I expected? Or Spring in December!!!

My bad semantics. It's the day the sun starts staying out longer so it's like the pinnacle of when length of days goes the other way, so gives us hope. I'll quit wording it like I did. Thanks!
Yes, I am well aware.
1703967127548.png

It is the first day of winter, but also the shortest day of the year, so daylight will be increasing until Summer Solstice.
Yep, see my post above yours.

The first day of Spring is on the Spring Equinox in March.
The first day of Summer is on the Summer Solstice in June.
The first day of Fall is on the Autumnal Equinox in September.

So actually @saysfaa your girls start laying in Winter ;)
I wish mine would soon, they have in the past but not this year, not yet anyway.

Yep, see my post above yours.

The first day of Spring is on the Spring Equinox in March.
The first day of Summer is on the Summer Solstice in June.
The first day of Fall is on the Autumnal Equinox in September.

So actually @saysfaa your girls start laying in Winter ;)
I wish mine would soon, they have in the past but not this year, not yet anyway.
I type R E A L L Y slowly, probably at the same time you were ☹️

My 5-month-old bantam EE pullets have just started laying little blue eggs! I was so excited to discover the first one on the 30th and one every day since. There are 3 pullets, at least one is laying.
And yesterday, one of our 3-yr-old half bantam hens began laying as well. I usually have zero eggs this time of year…
IMG_6606.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg IMG_6571.jpeg
I have now let go of repeating the mantra that hens need 12 hours a day of sunlight to produce an eggs, it’s obviously not true!!! My chickens prove me wrong a lot!

Mine are laying regularly even though it's cold and dark. But I'm not going to let them sit on the eggs right now. Silly hens.

Back
Top Bottom