1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My hens are protesting..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brandola, Jan 10, 2016.

1. brandola

brandola Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2015
    Hephzibah Georgia
    So I put some of those colored leg bands on my hens Friday so I can hopefully track egg production better. Went from 3-4 daily to just 3 all weekend! What up with that?!?

2. beb444

beb444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2015
    Northern CA
    I'm curious why you put the color bands on the hens...How will that help you track their eggs? I'm genuinely confused, not trying to be rude or anything. But maybe they need time to get use to them, they might be stressed.

3. brandola

Dec 1, 2015
    Hephzibah Georgia
    I have a few that look really close in appearance

4. beb444

Nov 16, 2015
    Northern CA
    So is it just to tell them apart? Because how will you know which egg is laid by each hen when you go and collect them?

5. brandola

Dec 1, 2015
    Hephzibah Georgia
    Yes. And I often see them leaving nest boxes. So that's how to use the color tags to keep up.

6. beb444

Nov 16, 2015
    Northern CA
    ohhhhhh! That makes sense!! I was going to put some on mine just to tell them apart but was scared to put them on them. How did you do it?

7. brandola

Dec 1, 2015
    Hephzibah Georgia
    I ordered poultry bands off eBay. They are smooth plastic that slip on legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by