My hens are really annoying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Johnn, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    my hens lay an egg have a poo on the egg and then they get out of the nest!, could they not do it when they get out

2. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    Mine do that Too, Don't Sweat It.

Just get some egg Cleaner, And Live with it.

Sorry for the Poop, But that's Just the way It is.

3. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Fix it or you will have egg eaters in no time!
    My dumb birds kept knocking over the nests and now at least 2 are going around, hunting for eggs to eat....ugh

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Something about your nest boxes are upsetting them.

If they poo in it, they don't "approve" of the nesting site. From my experience, lol. Not a criticism at all.

5. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    oh if i find an egg with a little crack in it i always just through it to the hens they love it and they have did this for 3 years

6. TheWaddler

TheWaddler Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Make the nest boxes smaller. The chickens will still like them even if they are small, mine are like 11 x 11 with about 8 inches or less to stand and I believe that is the important number. They crawl in and out but cannot stand up to poop in them nor can they stand up and look around and mess with the eggs....really only room to sit on them which they do. I have seen 2 chickens in the nest box at the same time even though there are 3 they will cram into the same one if one doesn't hurry up. That is room for a BO and a GLW in same box.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:You don't want your hens to know that eggs are good to eat IMO. Best to scramble them up first or boil, then chop. You can even microwave them...just so they aren't recognizable as an egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by