my hens are sick and I need help diagnosing

PompomTheoAndMP

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2016
Central California
There are no veterinarians near me who can take care of chickens. Suddenly one of my hens died after showing no symptoms and now one of them is sneezing and breathing weird, almost like she has water in her throat. Another one of my hens seems to have her eye slightly swollen, she can open it completely but often shuts the lower lid halfway. Is there anyway for me to help them? Does anyone know what's infecting them?

Sounds like some sort of respitory infection so many people are also dealing with this right now! If you can't get them to the vet seperate them from the flock, make sure to clean out your coop, food and waterers real good to prevent it from spreading. Then start giving them antibiotics, most antibiotics are readily available at the feed store and all you have to do is add them to the water. Just do alot of reaserch on respitory infections in chickens and search through some of the threads on here to find out which ones will work best for you. I know vet rx also states on the bottle you can rub on comb and under wings for birds with respitory illnesses, it is also available at the feed store, rural king, tractor supply, coop. Just research research research and treat! I hope your babies make it!

Last edited:
Adding vitamin supplements / electrolytes to their drinking water helps give their immune system a boost, which will help if it's viral.

Thank you both, I'll pick up some antibiotics soon and possibly be able to take one to the vet. If we can get a diagnosis I'll be sure to update so hopefully it can help others! wish me luck!

Thank you both, I'll pick up some antibiotics soon and possibly be able to take one to the vet. If we can get a diagnosis I'll be sure to update so hopefully it can help others! wish me luck!

You are welcome, but please check that your vet has poultry experience - if not, you could be wasting your time and money.

At the end of the day, antibiotics will treat bacterial issues (and help prevent secondary infections, if not). If the cause is viral then it's a case if keeping your fingers crossed and hoping that they are strong enough to fight it. If they do pull through, they may be carriers of the illness for life (bit like us having cold sores) so you may have to face keeping a closed flock. The details are further down the line, however - one step at a time :)

All the best
Ct

Another hen died this morning so I'm down to two, they arent showing any symptoms so I'm not sure if I should treat them to be safe or not? I wasn't able to get antibiotics so I woud be uising VetRX. Also the closest vet with experience is about 3 hours away so that's out of the question.

Sorry to hear of your ongoing problems. I'd throw the kitchen sink at your remaining birds in terms of treating with what you have - seems you have little to lose. Chickens generally only present symptoms when when are seriously ill. That's just my what I would do, I'm not suggesting it's what you should necessarily do.

Ct

Sorry to hear of your ongoing problems. I'd throw the kitchen sink at your remaining birds in terms of treating with what you have - seems you have little to lose. Chickens generally only present symptoms when when are seriously ill. That's just my what I would do, I'm not suggesting it's what you should necessarily do.

Ct

X2

VetRX is more of a mask than a cure. But a mask might be needed at this point to stop fatalities.

M. Gallisepticum matches symtoms rather well, but it is not usually fatal, which does not match.
If it is a Mycoplasma, regular antibiotics will not work due to it's lack of a cell wall. I recommend a test to make sure if you can possibly get it, as Denagard (treatment for Mycoplasma) is $50, which aint pocket change!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycoplasma_gallisepticum

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom