My hens are terrified of the nest box curtains

crazychick26201

Songster
10 Years
Jun 1, 2013
West Virginia
Ok. From one problem to another. I made nest box curtains because it is very light in the coop. This caused a major crisis. I could hear their cries of alarm when I was in the house. So I took the curtains down and peace reigned again. I was thinking that they had not noticed the curtains until they went up to roost. So today I took the curtains out early and sat in The coop with them. All but one tried to fly through the hardware cloth to get away from those scary curtains. And they are not bright or Anything. So this one chicken was not afraid and kept jumping on my lap. I let the curtains a sorb their scent. Then hung them back up in the afternoon and scattered sunflower seeds at the bottom of the curtains to entice them to investigate. They hung there all day. I just went out tonight after dark to see how they were faring with the curtains near their roost. Every one of them is roosting outside and will Not go inside the coop because they are scared of the curtains.

Should I just take them down and give up? If they won't even roost in the same room with them, how in the world will they lay eggs in there?

never heard of curtains for chickens, i find it a little funny. if there laying, the like the light , if there nesting they want seclusion, just put a fake egg in the box and lose the drapes .does it have a top on it? wooden box should be inclosed in wood all the way around except front and a strip in front about 4 in. to keep eggs from rolling out. maybe a ladder depending on how high they are

never heard of curtains for chickens, i find it a little funny. if there laying, the like the light , if there nesting they want seclusion, just put a fake egg in the box and lose the drapes .does it have a top on it? wooden box should be inclosed in wood all the way around except front and a strip in front about 4 in. to keep eggs from rolling out. maybe a ladder depending on how high they are

This ^^^

It just means I agree with what you said.
smile.png

Lose the curtains.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom