My hens don't want to lay their eggs in the coop!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NacientNeedle, Sep 5, 2014.

1. NacientNeedle

NacientNeedle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2014
    My five hens insist on laying their eggs in an old partially opened table umbrella that I have laying on a wall in our back yard. I put it there - partially opened - because it is the only place where they can get out of the yard and it is an effective barrier that they do not seem inclined to go over. However, the leader of the pack started layer her eggs there and now the others do to - convenient that they all lay in the same spot - however, when the winter comes they are going to have to go in the coop to lay!! I've tried to make the coop more "cozy" with a nest box, but they are not interested. Short of keeping them cooped up until they lay their eggs each day - I'm not sure how to get them to change their umbrella nest ways! If I keep them in the run, they lay their eggs all over the place - in the dirt, in a bit of hay in the corner - in an old grapevine wreath I put down to make a nest. But, I'd really like to get them to lay in the nest boxes. Any ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by