1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My hens first eggs...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jules3, Nov 25, 2013.

1. jules3

jules3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2013
    Has anyone ever heard that you should throw away your first dozen eggs? Once they start laying them.

2. Ashdoes

Ashdoes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2012
    Peyton, CO
    No, never.

3. Hanna8

Hanna8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2012
    All I can think of is that some starter feeds, but not all, can make eggs unsafe for human consumption. This could be talking about switching to layer feed and then waiting to make sure the medication in the starter feed is out of the birds' systems. But pullets lay so irregularly when they start laying... Time would be a much better gauge than number of eggs laid.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Eat them and enjoy them.

Hanna8, medicated starter feeds contain a small amount of amprolium, which helps prevent coccidiosis. Amprolium is basically a thiamine blocker and does not leave any residue in chicken's eggs, so even if your hens ate medicated starter (for example when you have a broody hen raising chicks with the flock and the layers eat the chicks' feed), those eggs will be perfectly safe for human consumption.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by