my hens got a broken leg! help!

whirlwindschicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 5, 2011
hit.gif

My hen has had a slab of wood dropped on her and it broke her legs this happened Saturday and we splinted it and she just lays around. Today she has been up and around a little but now she is pecking at the leg? Is this bad or good? What can I do to help her?
idunno.gif

Just one leg is broken? Where on the leg is the break?

I had a hen with a break right in the middle of her "shin", I splinted it with a human finger splint from Wal-Mart and vet wrap, gave her some antibiotics and kept her in a cage for 4 weeks. Let her out but left splint on for another two weeks, healed up great.

If the break is in the joint or the "thigh" area, things can be more complicated. If there is nerve damage her leg may be numb or tingling, causing her to peck at it. My hen never bothered her leg at all.

Yes just one broken leg up higher like thigh area and we used a baby hanger the plastic ones we cut the bend off and used it up until today she would justlay and not hop around but she is today even seen her drink and eat a little today! I havnt separated her because she seems to get stressed when I putt her alone
sad.png

She may just be reacting to the hindrance of the splint. If she is eating and pooping she might be OK. If you cant separate her just get her as comfy as you can and pray for the best. Like previously said, that is a tricky area and if nothing else has been damaged badly it might heal.

Back
Top Bottom