My hens has a red "butt"-help..

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbrown_14105

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Ok I am new to this problem... one of my hens has a "red butt" where the other chickens have plucked out her tail feathers around her vent.
Looks a little bloody too... I have isolated her in another pen, she is eating & drinking well, and seems content when I pick her up, almost kinda comforted when I have her "protected" . She also has a a separate feed & water of which I have added some anti-biotic.
Right now she is free grazing outside of the other hens since they are in the fenced in yard area of the chicken coop. The chicken coop is 6 foot by 4 foot and is capable of handling 10-12 hens I am told, we have 5 total.
They were all raised at the same time in the same brood, 7 months old, up to now they have been all together in the hen house & yard.

so is this a new "pecking order" or what.
Add more protein to their diet? They get grains & chicken feed already, plus fresh grass/bugs from foraging.

any help would be good as to info.
Jim Brown
Lockport NY

She is probably low in the pecking order and once they started picking and drawing blood it escalated. Once blood is drawn chickens can become cannibalistic. I would let her heal thoroughly and then reintroduce...once reintroduced she will have to go thru another pecking order routine but at least she will be healed and hopefully will not get bloodied again. AND you never know, when reintroduced she may have had time to toughen up and not be on the bottom of the pecking order! As far as your coop, you should allow 3 ft per chicken. 6x4 = 24 feet divide by 3 ft per chicken and your max should be around 7 or less figuring room is being taken by feeder and waterer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom