My hens have a case of mistaken identity?

sablevulpe

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 3, 2010
Andover, MN
I'm a bit bashful to ask this one, because I think I know the answer... Several of my hens are acting a bit oddly in when I'm in their run. They were all handraised by me, so none of the chickens show much fear - often running towards me because I am the thumbed giant, opener of doors, bearer of treats... Lately, when I am in the run with them, if I reach down to touch them, they will squat low to the ground, pulling their wings away from their body slightly. I can pet them, and they make no noise or movement.

So the big question... are the ladies considering me a Roo?

Does anyone else have this happen? And if you're wondering, by human standards, I am a hen!
frow.gif

This is a sign of submission to the rooster, in order to let him mount her. When they do it for their people, it signifies submission. Some pullets will also stamp their feet.

I skritch the feathers at the base of the neck, between the wing/shoulder blades, then skritch at the base of the tail, and finally give a little pat on the back as I say, "Good girl!"

They stand up and shake their feathers before they walk away.

I consider it an honor. Although it IS funny!

Quote:
I HAVE been skritching them... but it seemed almost like teasing! I figured they were probably submitting.
Well, I guess that means I made good on my promise thus far to give them a healthy, happy life.

But I am going to hear the "Brown chicken brown cow..." music every time they do it! My Roo's gotta be ticked. They just laugh at him when he makes advances (he's smaller than most of the hens)

Back
Top Bottom