My hen's just started laying and now I realize my nest boxes are to ..

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Pampered Chicken, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Pampered Chicken

Pampered Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    My nest boxes are to small. If I change them now am I going to really upset them? Poor things barely fit in. The are only 11x11. If I switch and lay them on there side they will be 11X14 or should I just make new ones? Thanks for any input.

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    I would go ahead and change them now, just put some fake or store bought eggs in them so they get the idea that it is still a safe place to lay.

3. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    I thought 12" x 12" was an ok size and you're not to far off

4. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you sure they are crammed in there? They are suppose to be snug so the hen feels safe.
    Mine are 12x12 and I have seen 2 big orpington hens squeeze themselves in there and then a third climb on top of them.
    An inch should not make any difference.

5. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I would wait until they are in the run or free ranging ( if you let them) and do it then dont disturb during peak laying periods! Thats when I clean the coop and nest boxes after they have given me six or seven eggs for the day!

6. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    mine is 2' deep and they still back up till their tall is pushed against the back to lay.. you are probably ok

7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Well it depends on the size of your hens, my boxes are 15" x 15" x 15" and the hens are sexlinks (golden comets).
    You could make new ones or possibly make a large communal box and see how they react.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by