My hens possibly broody QUESTION

HLail

Songster
Apr 7, 2018
So I came out today and noticed one of my hens she’s a sapphire gem who’s 9 months old laying on some eggs. I gave her a fertilized egg & she took her beak and pushed it under her. I came back out 20 mins later and she’s off the eggs running around. So I am confused is she broody? This is the first time I’ve ever seen broody signs from this hen.

Not broody, or at least, not nearly enough of a sign. I would not assume a hen is broody until you see more than one of these signs: plucking of belly feathers, puffing up and flattening down if you attempt to bother them, growling or ticking time bomb sound, wanting to spend day and night in the nest. Hens that are simply laying will also tuck eggs under themselves.

Check that she's been on the same nest for at least 3-4 days except for a short 20-30min break (where they eat and drink and do their chicken essentials) before giving her eggs. Before my very first broody hen ever went broody I started hearing the more distinct "cluck cluck cluck" noises only broodies make- that was days before she committed to her nest. And some never make the noises before nesting. So, she might be considering going broody, just not all the way there yet.

My broody types always need a few day from normal to broody. In the in between days they sit quite some time on the nest. But might still roost and run around too.
If I don’t want a broody this is the best time to intervene. Take away all eggs , take her out of the nestbox, make sure she roosts at night.
If I want her to be broody asap, I give her 4-5 fake eggs and let her follow her instincts.

So I came out today and noticed one of my hens she’s a sapphire gem who’s 9 months old laying on some eggs. I gave her a fertilized egg & she took her beak and pushed it under her. I came back out 20 mins later and she’s off the eggs running around. So I am confused is she broody? This is the first time I’ve ever seen broody signs from this hen.
If she goes full on broody you'll know. She'll stay on the nest even at night, and if you take her off the eggs, she'll go right back within a few minutes. :)

I think younger hens do this. We've had one or two be like, "I want a baby", then they've decided they have a fear of commitment. There's no winning sometimes. That said, there is nooooooo mistaking when a hen goes honestly broody. Another thing to note is that most of the broody traits have been selectively bred out of many different breeds. If you do have one who goes broody, and you desire to grow your flock, keep her. Our one-time broody hen Gladys is the queen of the coop in my eyes.

I have a broody hen. 7 months old speckled sussex. No feathers on her stomach, her comb got weird. She'll sit on "her" nest for days. Her crop is empty so I don't think she's getting out to eat or drink. I do take her out every so often and put food right in front of her. Sometimes she'll eat other times she won't.
I did let her have some eggs I marked them so I knew which ones. I thought it would be cool if she hatched them.
Problem is some times when I go in the coop she's sitting on another nest and the eggs I gave her are cold.
So I'm not sure but does this make the eggs bad?
I have a dog crate in the coop for so k or injured birds so I put her in there one day with nest, eggs, food, and water. She hated it.
So I don't know what I should do.
Any advice?

Can you provide her a small coop with a small attached /covered run and put het apart? That way she can sit comfortable and stretch her legs in confinement.
A prefab coop like the prefabs they sell for 200 - 300 €/£/$ without a steep ladder is perfect for this purpose.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom