My hens stopped laying 😟

daystardoberman

Songster
7 Years
Aug 26, 2013
I have 30 or so assorted hens, some a year and a half, some 8 months old.
They were laying just fine, but early mid July the older girls went into a molt. I was down to 4 eggs a day. A month ago they started up, I was to 10 eggs a day then out of the clear, they just *bam* completely stopped laying. I mean NOTHING. The coop still has a lot of feathers in it, but they don't have that ragged I'm melting look anymore. I've checked for snakes, and no one is missing, so I doubt its vermin..
Does anyone have any ideas? The majority have plump red combs. No change in diet or anything else...
20200922_194034.jpg

I'm in north Texas. It was in the mid 80's now its low 70's where it will stay until January or so. Then it gets to the 50's we have great weather here.

Could it be egg eating? I had a flock that I stopped getting eggs from, and then one day I saw the hens eating a freshly laid egg. They ate all the shell, the membrane, and slurped up the yolk and white, leaving no trace at all of an egg. The egg was completely gone in 2 minutes. I never would have guessed egg eating if I hadn't seen them eat the egg.

Could it be egg eating? I had a flock that I stopped getting eggs from, and then one day I saw the hens eating a freshly laid egg. They ate all the shell, the membrane, and slurped up the yolk and white, leaving no trace at all of an egg. The egg was completely gone in 2 minutes. I never would have guessed egg eating if I hadn't seen them eat the egg.
I've never had that problem before. I gather twice a day and these hens are well to overfed. I really doubt that is the issue.

Back
Top Bottom