My hens tail has gone scabby, swollen and bloody

Please don't pull scabs off.
:th

That will open up bleeding and chance more infection.

Definitely don't pull the scabs off! Just let them heal on their own, all you gotta do is keep it from getting infected, or picked at :)

I stand corrected. I retract my minor freak out at the scab removal. BUT my fainting stands.
:th

LOL Fainting helps no one:lol:

@azygous has explained the purpose of debriding very well.

I would soak her bottom in warm water with Epsom salts, chlorhexidene, or betadine once a day. Dry thoroughly and apply plain neosporin/triple antibiotic ointment. Keep clean of droppings. She looks like she has suffered from vent pecking, eith due to a poopy butt, overcrowding, bullying, or boredom. Sometimes a lack of protein in the diet may also contribute. Keep her inside while bathing, and later in a dog crate with food and water in view of the chickens. Offer some chopped egg, tuna, or small amount of meat for extra protein. Vent damage can occur after severe pecking which can lead to more soiling of the vent, egg binding problems, etc. I really hope that your treatment helps.

No the vent is swollen but no cuts or damage on it. I don’t understand why they would have feather pecked, they can roam over hundreds of acres of farm land if they wanted to, they get fed in the morning with layers pellets and forage the rest in the orchards or in the fields and they sleep in a large oak tree at night. She’s never had a poopy bum and there’s plenty of room for her to escape roosters and other birds if she wishes.

Back
Top Bottom