My Hens won't roost!

Quote:
Superchiks, Mine went about 16-18 weeks before they actually roosted off the ground. I have a level bar, 2.5 feet above the flooring. They used to hover by one end or the other until one day they all figured it out. Imagine, 13 birds on one 6 foot 2X4. Back to back to back to back......... They wil get it, eventually.

oh my gosh i luv your signiture and your pic!!!!!!!!! my dad has that too!!!!!

God bless!!!!!

<3 lucyboo

Quote:
Mine used to all gather by the pop door too. 8 or 9 inside and 6 or 7 outside on the ramp. I would have to "coax" the others inside by a pat on the butt. I went out to lock them up one night and nobody was by the door so I opened it and they all were on the roost. Almost like a lightbulb came on and they said "hey, let's try sleeping up there". Never had a problem since exept one of the RIR's. She's a little whacko, but that's another thread.

Quote:
Superchiks, Mine went about 16-18 weeks before they actually roosted off the ground. I have a level bar, 2.5 feet above the flooring. They used to hover by one end or the other until one day they all figured it out. Imagine, 13 birds on one 6 foot 2X4. Back to back to back to back......... They wil get it, eventually.

oh my gosh i luv your signiture and your pic!!!!!!!!! my dad has that too!!!!!

God bless!!!!!

<3 lucyboo

lol
big_smile.png
thanks! I picked the name and then I looked later for a supehero chicken and it said on its shirt...NC (which actually means Nitro chick but whtever works) - I was like THATS AWESOME! Is your dad on here? I'll have check it out!

Quote:
Mine used to all gather by the pop door too. 8 or 9 inside and 6 or 7 outside on the ramp. I would have to "coax" the others inside by a pat on the butt. I went out to lock them up one night and nobody was by the door so I opened it and they all were on the roost. Almost like a lightbulb came on and they said "hey, let's try sleeping up there". Never had a problem since exept one of the RIR's. She's a little whacko, but that's another thread.

thats what I'm hoping - the lightbulb lol - I close the door so its not like its a window or anything! lol

I have three that would not use the roosts in the coop but after I moved them to the grow out pen they started some. I moved them for they keep getting out of the coop/run area every morning and sometimes in the evening.

Mine are just about ten weeks. They use the roost I put in the run to get a better view of the yard I think but they still huddle together on the floor in the coop. I guess in time
hu.gif

Wow they finally did it! It took 106 degree heat for them to figure out it was cooler up by the window and now they all squeeze up there! lol

How old did you say your chickens are? Mine won't roost either. They all huddle in the corner and they are around 20 weeks. I have one that has started laying an egg a day, but not the others. I used to close them in the coop at night because they would go in late in the evening, but now I leave the pop door open. They will wander in late in the day and will come out in the morning. I've gone to check on them in the evening and they still sit in the corner of the coop. I don't know if mine will ever figure out the roost bar. They will get on it in the morning, but not sleep there. Silly chickens.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Mine did that too - they would be up there in the morning but not at night. Now they do. The oldest ones are about 20 weeks now. Once they started going up the others followed. Hopefully yours will too! lol Silly chickens they are!

Back
Top Bottom