My hero, Max.

kaybats

Songster
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
I've read about this many times here but witnessed it for the first time today.

(A little background: Wanted to introduce Max (6 mo. old RIR roo) to his own flock (7 BO and 3 WR just over 2 mos.) and let him free range with them the other day. He's ready,, they are not. Had to separate, but all are still within eye and ear shot, and have been for some time.)

Here goes: Had the little girls out free ranging while going about regular 'duties' in the barn and (now defunct) garden and decided to take a little break. While sipping on my coffee, I heard a crow I've never heard before....and then saw a stampede of twenty little chick feet making a beeline for the coop. I looked up to my left and there was a some kind of a bird (hawk? chicken hawk?
hu.gif
) descending as if it were after something. I jumped up and herded everyone in, like they needed my help for that. Max's quarters are right next to the coop and they all huddled up closest to him.

Even from his confinement, he managed to warn the babies and did what he could to keep them safe. OMG

It all happened so fast. I don't know if I would have been quick enough if it hadn't been for Max.

As a side note, and I don't know if this could be the case, but even the ducks took cover!

Yay Max!!!
hugs.gif

I'll post a picture of 'my hero' later today. I can't believe out of the billions of photos I have taken I can't find one that does him real justice. I stink as a photographer!!
lol.png

Quote:
You are so right! Max has been with them all day today. And when I locked up, I left him in with the girls. Worried, of course, I checked about an hour later and everyone was content and happy!!!

My Max....

94725_img_06711.jpg

Back
Top Bottom