My Hobby is Becoming a Nightmare!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AthamGI, Jul 16, 2008.

1. AthamGI

AthamGI Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    I take good care of my chickens, and I enjoy raising them. Now, I have 70 chickens, but now after four years of breeding, I have more roosters than hens! I don't know what to do. I've tried giving them away to good homes, but no one really wants roosters. And then they all started killing hens, starting with my little silkie hen and my old Buff Orp. I seperated the bad roosters from the hens, and even went to the extreme of leaving them out all night, but nothing has happened to them. The only rooster that has been killed by predetors was one of the gentle ones that I wanted to keep.

And, even worse, out of the twenty five chicks that hatched this year, six of them have started crowing!

What can I do to fix this problem?

2. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    Very simple, don't let them hatch eggs, get rid of some (if not all) roos.

3. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    Do you have an axe, hatchet, or gun?? Roos are pretty good eating if you get them before 20 weeks old. Everyone is giving them away, so that won't work. I think slaughtering them is the most humane thing to do, for you and the hens.

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I eat my extras. [​IMG] Slow cook the older ones in a crock pot, delicious!

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Cull some birds or gather them up and take them in for processing if you cannot do it. Even if they are older you can use them for stewing.

6. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Advertise the Roos on Craigslist or Local Paper. Are you opposed to them going for meat? I don't want to start a arguement with anyone, but unfortunately in most livestock, the extra boys are the ones that are eatten. If you are willing to eat them, perhaps you can find someone who will process them for you.

7. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Butcher and sell as stewing birds...just a thought

Or a fried chicken picnic

I would need to have someone else buther for me, i couldnt do it.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  8. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    You can't keep that many roosters. If you can't give them away, you can take them to a processor who can prepare them for your freezer.

If you know of anyone who processes their own chickens, they might be happy to have your roosters.

9. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Contact your local/close livestock auction see if they have a small animal sales,roos sell for a decent price.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by