My Home Made Incubator Will It Work???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jaspacouts, May 11, 2008.

1. Jaspacouts

Jaspacouts New Egg

May 11, 2008
    ok so i got a 10 gallon fish tanks and took a think peice of wood and put it on top as a lid, i cut out a whole and put a heat lamp hanging in there. no air can escape though. then i put a small fan in there and a bowl of water. also i put a reptile heating pad under the tank for even more heat. do u think this will work??? let me know

2. newbiecaroline

newbiecaroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2008
    Alberta
    Bet members will want pics right off the bat.
    Then how are the gauges? what do they both read?
    Hope it works...may take some tweaking but can't see why not...I don't have one or I'd try it.
    It will need a source of 'fresh air' though not only a fan.

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Should work with some tweaking. You will need fresh air getting in for oxygen.

4. Jaspacouts

Jaspacouts New Egg

May 11, 2008
    [​IMG]

Let me know what you guys think i mean its working right now my thermometer is a reptile one so its a little weird but it reads 90-95-100 degrees and it doesnt seem to be to humid in there as of now i dont have a humidity thermometer but the temp is up so what do you guys think will that temp be ok or should i get a more powerful bulb???

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    that fan is a bit of a overkill. A PC fan or two should be enough. Or could you atleast put the fan high enough so the fresh hatched chicks are not endangered. oh and you might want to use a dimmer to control the heat.

Last edited: May 11, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by