My horses feet are squishy from the snow. Any advice?

I agree that it's probably thrush or the frog shedding like people said before! What I personally use for thrush is iodine. When it gets bad, I like to use this orange vetercyn spray stuff that's actually for umbilical cords, but the vet said it can be used for thrush, because it's kind of like a strong iodine type spray I guess lol. It's called Vetericyn super 7 ultra. Gets rid of thrush nicely.

Hoof care is extremely important, like others said and I'm sure you know. The farrier for the mare I train is always advocating for me to use hoof oil, and I suggest you could get into the habit of using that too. It's great stuff to keep their feet in good condition. Apply it on the outside of their hoof and all on the inside and over their frog, etc. I personally use Fiebings hoof oil and I love that stuff.

Sometimes, also, when you treat thrush or if the frog is shedding, it might look messy or kind of messed up until your farrier can clean it up. Also, in thrush I have noticed some horses will get pockets or holes in their frog, not just a crack between their heel bulbs. It depends on the horse and how bad the thrush is.

Just thought I'd add in my voice too! :)
Thank you. This helped a lot

Ok so the appointment for her teeth went well, she was sedated , and turns out she has three teeth that appear a bit loose 😬 he’s going to wait and see how her teeth feel and look in a couple weeks, and she got an antibiotic for some gingivitis , and spots in her cheek that hurt. Thank you all for helping ❤️

G
Ok so the appointment for her teeth went well, she was sedated , and turns out she has three teeth that appear a bit loose 😬 he’s going to wait and see how her teeth feel and look in a couple weeks, and she got an antibiotic for some gingivitis , and spots in her cheek that hurt. Thank you all for helping ❤️
Good! Glad it went well! Good, hopefully those meds help!!! Keep us updated!

I love how it smells!
Sometimes horse products smell really good! I'm so used to walking around smelling like their liniment I put on them or the fungal soap I've had to use since we've been dealing with cellulitis and scratches. I even once tried a horse cookie I got in a box sold to help support rescue horses, and it was really good! It tasted exactly like a graham cracker! There are also these licorice treats which are literally corn syrup sugar and food dye. I've tried most of my horse cookies! Some of them are better than others! I’ve had to tell myself not to eat anymore! :lau🤣🤣🤣

I had a hoof oil once that the horses loved the smell of to the extent they sniffed their feet- but I hated it

Back
Top Bottom