My Hubby and one of his West Harlequin hens.

Where is the 'hen'? I only see your husband and a duck!
frow.gif

Drakes and Ducks = ducklings

Roosters (cockerels) and Hens = chicks

6 1/2 wks. We have 3 other confirmed hens, 1 drake and a deformed one that might be a drake, but will definitely be dinner at some point. We have 5 runners and 2 Cambell Welsh crosses. All from Holdereads.

I just hatched out 12 welsh harlequins, and since we are novices it is really hard
telling the soon to be drakes from the hen by their bills. Some are bright yellow, and some are
dark brown, but most have bills that are a mixture of both...yikes.
So how long do we need to wait before you can tell the drakes from the hens, and what are
some traits or feather patterns we should be looking for ?

Last edited:
I just hatched out 12 welsh harlequins, and since we are novices it is really hard
telling the soon to be drakes from the hen by their bills. Some are bright yellow, and some are
dark brown, but most have bills that are a mixture of both...yikes.
So how long do we need to wait before you can tell the drakes from the hens, and what are
some traits or feather patterns we should be looking for ?

By 6 to 8 weeks you will see the drakes will have like a silvery head... hens will not.

Female= Duck and hen
Male= Drake............. And some people around here call them "rooster ducks".......... crazy!

The generic term for ducks of all species (male or female) is duck.

All male ducks (no mater what the species) are called drakes.

All female ducks (no mater what the species) are called ducks.

All baby ducks (no mater what the species) are called ducklings.

Some people also refer to female ducks as "hens" but this leads to confusion with female chickens which are called "hens" by everybody.

The formal name for a female duck is not a hen and in fact it is just a duck

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_male_and_female_ducks_called#ixzz1vZxJSZZg

Back
Top Bottom