My husband is lucky to be still standing ; ) VIDEO

my4ladies

Songster
9 Years
Jul 4, 2010
Well, yesterday was day 20 for my lone silkie egg. I was really starting to get nervous; hadn't heard ANY peeping, hadn't pipped yet. However, if I could have one reassuring factor, it was that my temp had been stable for the last 2 days (and during the night) & my humidity exactly where I wanted it.

The other day I decided to put a fan a few feet away from my make-shift, still-air (made last minute) incubator to blow some air through it....JUST incase it wasn't getting enough oxygen. With the fan there the temp had been steady.

My husband was painting some baseboard trim and took the fan without telling me! I have no idea how long. I was keeping myself busy cleaning my kids' rooms so that I WOULDN'T keep checking on it, and of ALL days I went most of the day without looking. (The temp had been stable, so was pretty confident it wouldn't change). When I did I saw the temp had spiked to 103.8!!! I guess that's not so bad...I've had those before during the incubation, but never for this long, and never on DAY 20!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To get to the good part: I took the egg out immediately and candled it to see if it was still alive. It was and here is the video (hope it works!!!!). I didn't drop the egg toward the end...I just had to move. It had been moving 'til I grabbed my camera. Then it stopped.....so watch til the end.
I put it back EXACTLY how I found it.

TODAY'S DAY 21.
Last night I noticed a whitish area on the top of the egg, which I know was not there before. I figured it was the shell wearing thin from it's pecking. This morning, the shell is broke there and 2 more spots, both on the very top of the egg. It hasn't put it's beak through though. So...this is zipping?

SOOOOOO COOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to meet "Fuzzy" (as the kids have named it). But I am definitely NOT cut out for all this suspense stuff!

That is sooooooooooooooo COOL!
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom