My husband passed away working our our coop on Saturday, June 12, 2010

Can I divide it with the 2x4 wire and frame a wire door in it?

We just put up a wall and covered it with regular chicken wire. We put magnets along the edge of the door and frame so that it'll stay closed when I'm inside. There's a window on the other side of the door and it was always blowing open.
I need to still put wire on my windows. They're 3 ft. from the ground but I'd still feel better about leaving them open at night if they were wired. I'm planning on putting 1/2 x 1/2 wire attached with screws and washers.
49067_img_7448.jpg

I am so sorry that your husband died. It may seem overwhelming but you WILL get it done.
hugs.gif

It is very obvious to me that your Husband was a special man, who was creating a special coop. It has the look of a small chapel, and makes me think of the Amish Bunkhouse my Sister in law had built in memory of my older Brother after he passed away a few years ago. My Mother created a small stained glass window that was installed in the front of the building in honor of my Brother. It is still a nice, functional little building but we think of our Brother everytime we see it. Perhaps you could do something like that with your coop? Don't hesitate to ask for help finishing this project! It is so hard to know how to help at a time like this, and a concrete project like you coop lends itself well to that dilema. This forum is the perfect place to get practical answers to your questions. I sincerely hope you have family and friends with some knowledge in carpentry that can help you finish your coop, in a way that will honor your Husband's memory and provide a haven for your Chickens.

I agree that panels made with 2 x 4's and poultry wire or hardware cloth are the best way to divide your coop. This will allow for good air circulation and easy visability. You might want to make them so they are easily moved (use screws that can be removed) in case you want to enlarge or reduce and area. Good Luck, and don't forget that you have lots of friends at BYC!

I am sorry for your loss and commend you for continuing the project. I am sure I would do the same under similar circumstances, to keep my mind busy.

I agee with Catstar
Do we have enough people here on BYC who live within a few hours who can come and do a "coop raising"?

. Do we? I'm sure her family and friends will help, but they may not have the experience of chicken keeping to know HOW to set the Coop up. She(they) need advise, cause she needs to do it right the first time.

Vicki if you don't get the advice on this thread than you can go to Where am I, Where are you? and get on a thread for Kentucy or even Tennessee.

Check out all the Coop's in the Coop section for plans and what has worked for others.

Keep after us. Once we get over the condolences and the shock of your situation, we'll come up with ideas, for you.

It is hard to give you advise without being there to see dimensions, etc. My Coop is much smaller and I probably wouldn't be much help, but here are some ideas.

When we turned my old Greenhouse into a brooder house we did staplegun hardwarecloth around the inside of the windows. My windows open from the outside on the brooder house. It worked great. For yours if your windows open on the inside, put the harware cloth on the outside, another idea is to remake the screens from hardwarecloth, that may not be possible though. Use firing strips to staple the hardware cloth to the outside of the Coop, then paint the wood to match or contrast.

Make sure you have an area to store food and other things inside the coop. I don't have room inside my small coop with all my chickens and store outside of each house in metal trash cans. Get the metal trash cans you think you'll need and set them up in the Coop, then mark off the area. I say metal trash cans so you won't have a problem with rodents in the hen house. Give yourself some extra room, I seem to collect metal cans for DE, Oyster Shell, mixing up Special Scratch, etc. If someone can put in a small cabinet and counter,even better. For storing medines and collecting eggs. The area under the counter could be an area to isolate for injured chickens or it could be used for broodies. The area could be used for brooding, the counter for incubating if you have electricity out to th house.

These are just ideas for you to toss around. I'm not sure how far into the inside space planning you are.

Keep moving forward.​

Buttercuplilly...GREAT IDEA!! coopraising.

I am shocked... My hearts breaks for you. The earth should stand still and take notice. I am sad for you... Hugs.. Wish I knew him so I could have deeper understanding new friends. More hugs.

Buttercup, love the idea This is a large family on BYC if any of us are close enough Perhaps an old fashion barn/coop raising could happen.

It will be a beautiful coop when finished husbands idea was grand indeed! Stainglass windows would really be something! Wishing you and your family heart felt condolences!

that is the most awesome coop! Your husband was an excellent carpenter.. I only wish I was closer, I would come help you
sad.png
. Hopefully finishing his work will help you in some way.

Back
Top Bottom