My husband passed away working our our coop on Saturday, June 12, 2010

Wow, this is sad. I wish there were some comforting words I could offer you. The coop is an awesome testament to the creative craftsman you husband was. God bless you and all involved in this loss.

Finish the coop and give it a wonderful name in his memory.

I too am so sorry to hear this. He must have been a very special fellow to be involved and build you such a beautiful coop. Can't even imagine what you must be going through now. For me, the chickens would be a source of comfort. Please know that I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

My deepest sympathy for your loss. His work is beautiful, and I completely understand your desire to see it finished. I also know how to build and it breaks my heart to say this. You need a professional there to show you what to do or to do it right.
as for your questions. Yes you can build a divider with just 2X4's and chicken wire. You also want hardware cloth over the windows. you can go about framing that in any way that will look good with the design of the coop and make it look like it belongs. But to really be able to figure out how to get it done is going to require being there. It not only a problem of knowing what materials you have or are going to need. It is also a problem of being able to get it all put together the way it is supposed to be. I think it woudl be lovely if you finished his work. But you will need guidance to get it done.
It is also your choice weather you take this on now or later. If it is a way for you to focus, cope and heal. I encourage you to carry on. It may very well be a physical way you can reach some closure to the loss.

My prayers are with you as you pass through this place in life.

I would put the wire on the inside of the window. If on the outside it looks nasty and chickens can poke at the glass reflection and maybe crack it. I can see how you would want to get it finished. If it were something I started I would want it finished too.

First off, sincere condolances on your loss. May the heartfelt thoughts of so many help ease the ache in your heart at this time.
I agree with so many others. It seems a testiment to his life that the design of your coop be like a memorial to your loved one. Ask for help - Maybe start a new thread in the "where are you" section for KY and see if anyone in the area could give experienced help. Also, feel free to ask friends and family for help in finishing your husband's projects. So many want to help, and casserole dishes are just not enough. Reach out.

In response to the following:
Quote:
I have hardware cloth on the outside of the window. This allows me to open/shut the windows from inside the coop. The hardware cloth is then trimmed with 1x2 pieces of wood and painted a co-ordinating color as an accent around the windows. No loose wire, finished look.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I don't know anything about building a coop but I know that keeping busy is the best way to get through grieving. My dad passed away recently and it was a blessing that I was so busy at work. Please post pics of your beautiful coop when it is done!

Take care,

Tia

Back
Top Bottom