My Ideal babies arrived :) Any idea what the red beak means? *pic*

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MichiganWoods, Nov 13, 2008.

1. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    I couldn't believe how tiny the box was. Wow! You should have seen the Post Master's face when I told him it was recommended that I open the box in front of him so he can see if they are alive or dead. His eyes nearly popped out of his head. [​IMG] So I was like, "Oh, well... let me just lift up the flap here and look. Yeah, they look alive and OK. Thanks!" and whisked them out to my car. I laughed the whole way home. [​IMG]

They look alert and HUNGRY... and keep knocking over the water dish. [​IMG] I made sure to dip each of their beaks in the water when putting them into the brooder. This time I had to set up a temporary brooder in a cardboard box because my other one, I had it all set and ready to go, and I didn't quite get one of the latches set and when I picked the thing up, of course it fell and all of the feed and water and bedding went everywhere. Thankfully, I hadn't put the chicks in it yet! [​IMG] I know to keep an eye on the box in case of a fire. I'm checking it inbetween getting the other brooder ready for them.

[​IMG]

I ordered 8 pullets and 1 male, all Ameraucanas. They included 5 extra Ameraucana males for warmth. I lucked out and whoever filled my order wrote down the breed on my invoice! So there is a total of 14 chicks in this order.

[​IMG]

Question on beaks... some of them look like they've got some sort of internal bleeding inside of their beaks going on. I didn't order debeaking and they don't look like they got debeaked. I called Ideal and they were very nice, but unsure of what I was talking about.

Can anyone tell me what's up with the beaks?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I have had chicks with the beaks like that. It clears up in a few days. Don't worry [​IMG] They are cuties!!! Congrats!

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I don't believe there is anything wrong with those 'red' beaks, normal coloring that will change in a while.

Really, really cute babies ya got there!

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    That is naturally occuring pigment. Their beaks can change quite a bit in color and color distrubution as they mature.

5. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Aww I just LOVE Ideals Easter Eggers!!! They are so adorable! I like how they used More EE's males as your packing peanuts instead of some totally different breed! Lucky you! Make sure you post pics as they get feathers! I like to see the variety and color differences in EE's! [​IMG]

Edit to add: The beak being red is VERY normal..is will go away in a few days or lighten up as they get older...

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  6. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    They are adorable!! I love that one with the green forehead! Cuties!!

7. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Oh, that's normal, it'll change when they get older. Congrats on the chicks!

8. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Thank you all very much! They are super super cute! And they peck at EVERYTHING. I love it! [​IMG]

For those unfamiliar with the color coding... the red smear indicates it's the male I ordered. The green smears indicates the "packing peanut" males.

So glad to hear that the red is normal. None of my first hatched had that, so I wasn't sure if it was significant or not.

You bet I'll be posting pictures as they grow up! [​IMG]

9. verycherry

verycherry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    Oh, I want some! No I don't, YES I do, no I don't, YES I do! Noooo!!! They are soooo cute, but I've got the last of my 3 batches of my fall chicks going out this week, and I have no room for more, lol! My Ameraucanas spent the night out last night, but I waited just a little longer on my silkies and bantam cochins.

I got my first Ameraucana from Ideal too.....through our farm store here. They are pure Ameraucana but are mostly mixed colors, so a lot of people call them Easter Eggers, even though some Easter Eggers aren't 100% Ameraucana like these are.

I just took a picture of my 6 month old cockerel a few days ago. One of yours might turn out a lot like him, so I'll post a photo for you.

[​IMG]

Good luck with your babies! They look super healthy.

10. joshplus10

joshplus10 Out Of The Brooder

Ameraucanas!

My Surprise Assortment from IDEAL had 5 chicks that look like yours so I'm thinking they might be Ameraucanas, too!

Cool! Thanks for the great pics!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by