My incubator got cold 3 days before the hatch. Will they still hatch? How can I tell if they are sti

Detroitduckfarm

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 8, 2012
I made a horrible mistake and accidentally unplugged my incubator. It cooled off for about 24 hours before I realized what had happened. The ducks were due to hatch in 3 days at the time, now 1 day. Do they have a chance of surviving? How can I tell this late in the incubation if they are still alive?

I would guess that it dropped to about 70 degrees. From what I hear, below 77 is bad. I thought I saw some movement in at least 1 of the 7, and most of them still have blood vessels visible, which I hope is good. I haven't seen movement yet today, but it's easier to see at night.

Indeed, now that it's dark I can see movement in at least 2 of them, almost like they banging against the membrane on the air sac. I hope my eyes aren't playing tricks on me! Fingers crossed. I will leave them alone until the hatching period is over.

The two that I determined to be alive are still alive, but they haven't even pipped yet, and it's the due date. They are noticeably warmer than the other 4, so I removed those ones to be certain they didn't contaminate the incubator. One duckling is very fiesty--a small egg from a Welsh Harlequin. The other duckling is a little mellower, a very large blue egg from my favorite gold star hybrid. They will certainly be the odd couple. Fingers still crossed....

Temps can effect how quickly they start the hatching process. Also ducks don't hatch like chicks pip to zip and out quickly. Ducks pip internally and rest, they turn and rest, they start to externally pip and rest. They rest, did I mention they rest? Then they externally pip and you got it rest. Zip some rest, zip rest, finish zipping. So you still have a way to go.

Temps can effect how quickly they start the hatching process. Also ducks don't hatch like chicks pip to zip and out quickly. Ducks pip internally and rest, they turn and rest, they start to externally pip and rest. They rest, did I mention they rest? Then they externally pip and you got it rest. Zip some rest, zip rest, finish zipping. So you still have a way to go.

I have been keeping the incubator at about 99 degrees. I just noticed this morning after removing the inactive eggs that it dropped a couple degrees, I turned up the heat a little. Will extra heat help, especially if they have been traumatized?

BTW, thanks everyone for your input. Sometimes a live forum is the only way to get good information!

Back
Top Bottom