my incubator is going crazy!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bluefeather2697, Mar 30, 2012.

1. bluefeather2697

bluefeather2697 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    hi guys. i tested my incubator just right now it has a 14-watt cfl bulb and a thermostat inside and no eggs, it has one window for viewing but no holes. i turned the bulb on then i left it closed, after 30 minutes the temperature reads 116 Fahrenheit! i opened the incubator and it feels hot in there, im afraid to put holes, because i might ruin it. what should i do now. help please!

2. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    bump...

3. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Tell me more about it, do you have a fan, holes may be good because you need circulation so the eggs can get oxygen, you don't need a lot of holes maybe just a couple, if the temp goes low after you put the holes in and doesn't in creases then you can adjust it by putting in a higher voltage light, you can't ruin it you will just need to make more adjustments, what kind of incubator? Did you make it your self, need more info

4. enel 1

enel 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    eastern washington
    I would say ...put a couple small holes in the bottom. And a little larger hole on top so at least you have some air flow,you can allways cover the hole on top how ever much you need to control the heat a computer fan in your bator will be very benificial allso

5. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    incubators NEED holes in them for air circulation. the eggs must breathe for a chick to grow and hatch. usually a few small holes near the bottom, and a couple at the top work well. if they cut the temp back too much you can always close them over with tape.

6. enel 1

enel 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    eastern washington
    Hmmm,that's what I said,must be good advice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by