My inlaws puppy killed a chick today, I need to vent!

It sounds like your chickens are running loose in your yard. If so, the problem isnt the neighbors dog, its your containment, or lack of. If their dog can come over and get to your chickens, so can any other dog. You, or they, may take care of that dog, but it won't be the last loose dog you'll likely have to deal with.

Do not worry and fret and pout over what you can not control. All you can control is your birds on your property. Make them safe from any predators, including loose dogs. The only thing you can do with that dog is call animal control, if you have one, or catch it and take it to the pound. If you're not willing to do that, and your in-laws arent willing to contain their dog, you will be in for a lot of misery in your life for a long time unless you contain your birds. Its your choice.

Chicken killing is self-rewarding and it is an extremely high value reward. A dog who has already killed chickens can be trained to be safe around chickens, but it is a long and difficult process.

A dog who has never chased chickens can be trained to leave them alone relatively easier. That is no more difficult than teaching "leave it" and then being consistent about enforcing it.

The problem with training the neighbor's dog is that the OP has zero control of when the dog is loose or for how long. To train the dog, the dog must be supervised around the birds at all times. How is OP to do that when she has no control over when the dog is running loose?

A safe place to confine the chickens is the only truly workable solution. A good solid coop and secure run. A hot wire around the coop would be a good addition.

The whole coop project would be cheaper than moving, and moving does not guarantee that another neighborhood dog or coyote won't find the birds in the new neighborhood. So a coop and run might have to be built at the new location, anyway.

If OP owns the house she is in and can afford it, a good solid high fence around the entire backyard would keep the dog out and solve a lot of issues. That's a lot of money and won't work very well if the house is rented.because anything that gets attached to the property becomes the property of the landlord. A fence around the perimeter is a rather expensive gift to give to a landlord.

Also, a perimeter fence does not protect against raccoons, coyotes, or birds of prey. The in-laws' dog is not the only bird killer out there.

I'd be quite concerned that their method of training to hate you could rub off on its temperament. They may care nothing for your chickens but what if next time one of their grand kids gets between it and its prey it doesn't have as good an outcome for the child. I understand not wanting to upset but my first priority would be my kids and this is a situation that could quite easily get worse or have ended badly for more than the chicken.

It sounds like your chickens are running loose in your yard. If so, the problem isnt the neighbors dog, its your containment, or lack of. If their dog can come over and get to your chickens, so can any other dog. You, or they, may take care of that dog, but it won't be the last loose dog you'll likely have to deal with.

Do not worry and fret and pout over what you can not control. All you can control is your birds on your property. Make them safe from any predators, including loose dogs. The only thing you can do with that dog is call animal control, if you have one, or catch it and take it to the pound. If you're not willing to do that, and your in-laws arent willing to contain their dog, you will be in for a lot of misery in your life for a long time unless you contain your birds. Its your choice.

X2

Chicken killing is self-rewarding and it is an extremely high value reward. A dog who has already killed chickens can be trained to be safe around chickens, but it is a long and difficult process.

A dog who has never chased chickens can be trained to leave them alone relatively easier. That is no more difficult than teaching "leave it" and then being consistent about enforcing it.

The problem with training the neighbor's dog is that the OP has zero control of when the dog is loose or for how long. To train the dog, the dog must be supervised around the birds at all times. How is OP to do that when she has no control over when the dog is running loose?

A safe place to confine the chickens is the only truly workable solution. A good solid coop and secure run. A hot wire around the coop would be a good addition.

The whole coop project would be cheaper than moving, and moving does not guarantee that another neighborhood dog or coyote won't find the birds in the new neighborhood. So a coop and run might have to be built at the new location, anyway.

If OP owns the house she is in and can afford it, a good solid high fence around the entire backyard would keep the dog out and solve a lot of issues. That's a lot of money and won't work very well if the house is rented.because anything that gets attached to the property becomes the property of the landlord. A fence around the perimeter is a rather expensive gift to give to a landlord.

Also, a perimeter fence does not protect against raccoons, coyotes, or birds of prey. The in-laws' dog is not the only bird killer out there.

X2

Thank you all very much for your support, it makes me feel better. I also appreciate all of the suggestions and advise for improvement! BYC is a proactive community! I have not had a chance to check on my post because I spent the weekend putting up 100yds of five foot high chain link fence around the coop. Well, my husband did most of it, I held the posts while he pounded them in, held whatever he needed me to, pulled fence tight, replaced and recharged power tool batteries as needed and kept his coffee hot :) The kids were in charge of the caps and such and running for bandaids (for me). The chickens are now safe! I noticed all the suggestions in favor of this solution, my favorite being the good fences make good neighbors' one. They also make for peace in families with boundary issues! And, I have to say, the suggestion of putting the shock collar on my inlaws was given consideration ;)
I think much of the negative response I recieved was misplaced anger out of embarassment and shame in causing the kids sadness. Not that I condone them taking it out on me, but I can take it, and it seems to have been replaced with a desire to make sure it never happens again.
We all love the dog, that was part of why the kids were upset, a beloved pet killed another beloved pet. My husband spent some time with FIL and the puppy. FIL is not using the collar himself, and he is working with the puppy to teach him basic obedience and is being consistant. DH thinks he is doing good, the puppy is responding well to him. I think the problem is with MIL. The puppy doesn't listen to her, she's frustrated, doesn't want to be bothered, and would rather just shut him in the house with her. Being a puppy he wants someone to play with and interact with him, so when she lets him out, he goes to house where there are dogs, kids, chickens and other adults who interact with him in a positive way. We are just going to have to treat him like he is one of our dogs, and, as someone mentioned, since we have no control over when he is coming over and there is not enough consistency, we are going to take him for walks with our dogs, invite him over to play, and teach him not to chase chickens!

Sounds like you are on the right path. I have a black lab that loves and swims with our ducks, actually helps us heard our flock when we move them from run to run daily. Dogs, especially the working breeds are smart and very trainable, as you have read. It just takes consistancy. Good luck with the MIL and FIL, I feel that may be the bigger issue and pray it works out well.

Sounds like you are on the right path. I have a black lab that loves and swims with our ducks, actually helps us heard our flock when we move them from run to run daily. Dogs, especially the working breeds are smart and very trainable, as you have read. It just takes consistancy. Good luck with the MIL and FIL, I feel that may be the bigger issue and pray it works out well.

x2!
thumbsup.gif

Can you keep the dog and train it at least for a few months, since they are right next door anyway? Or ask them to pay for the fencing as a present to their grandchildren.

I would still consider adding an electric wire to the bottom of the chain link fence. If this dog OR another dog tries to dig in the wire will correct them QUICK! You can get a solar powered fencer that you would not have run electricity.

Back
Top Bottom