My intro

Heathero617

Songster
8 Years
Mar 1, 2011
Mosheim
I'm a new member of the group. I'm relatively new to raising chickens but have learned an extensive amount from the website over the past 6 months. My name is Heather and I'm a stay at home mom of 2 young kids, 7 and 3. I'm also a part time student almost finished with my first degree.

We had an inexcusable, tragic occurrence with our first and second "set" of chickens. The first set were in a "crate" taking in some sun at a few days old. My daughter already had them trained to her voice and the hand feeding of flies she swatted in the house >i kept them in my bathroom< but while outside, my mom's boxer busted the "crate" and did away with them. Lesson learned. Our second "set" we were much more watchful over and they grew nicely then were put into a chicken pen and were quite happy. Once again, we trained them to know us, come to us when called and one of our roosters "Elvis" even followed us like a puppy trying to come into our house with us. Unfortunately, there is a stray in the area who decided to take them one at a time. "Elvis" was our last remaining feathered friend and she got him one morning. I still miss that bird, he would wake up and sit under my window and sing to me. I have since re-enforced my pen making it impossible for them to get out >due to the stray and coyotes< and got a nice pair of black non-bearded silkies. My daughter and I are planning on entering them in the fairs and possibly a few shows, we're new to this, so not completely sure yet. Since I've only had the pair here since Sunday, they are still bashful with us. Eventually we will become great friends I'm sure.

Sorry for the long intro, but I really have been enjoying this website and the information contained here is astounding and so very helpful. I look forward to absorbing even more knowledge in the future, and hope to make new "chicken" friends in the process! I want to say, upfront thank you for all the information! A warning as well, I'm a horrific speller, so PLEASE don't shun me due to errors! LOL

Thank you for allowing me to become part of the BYC community, I feel extremely privileged and honored!

Sincerely, Heather

welcome-byc.gif
from Utah. You have come to the right place!

I am glad you finally joined! welcome to BYC!
wee.gif

It sounds like you are protected this time. just remember, chicken wire only keeps chickens in, it won't keep anything determined out. Did you bury a wire skirt or put rocks and bricks around the base of the run?
I would hate for you to lose more.

again, welcome!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom