my introduction :)

mommalou71

Chirping
Sep 19, 2018
Hi :) my husband and i bought a 44 acre farm in the country in alabama back in April. my adult son bought me 7 baby chicks for mother's day. 5 light brahma and 2 that we thought were barred rock. my husband and i thought it would be great to have fresh eggs, so that's our intent with these chicks. these chicks aren't guaranteed sexed ( nor was the breed guaranteed). but the lady at rural king believed they were all hens at the time of purchase. Now, they are about 13 weeks old, and one looks "different" from the others, so now I'm wondering if its not a roo. I'm no expert, and i can only tell roo's from pullets when full grown. I also have 2 dogs, a german shepherd, and a malinois. my pups are only 6 months olds and have been going in the run with me every day and do pretty good around the chicks. i joined this group to learn more about chickens and maybe identify if my questionable chick is a roo or not.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC:frow. How old is your malinois? We just got ours and its 2.5 months old. I used to work with working dogs and used to supervise k9 units. It was a challenge at first to get her to not lunge at our hens. Our hens free range on our small farm so there is chicken poo all over and trying to break a pup from wanting to eat those :rant treats has been tough.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom