My Jersey Giants hopping over my 4FT poultry netting...HELP!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gabgrl611, Jun 6, 2010.

1. gabgrl611

gabgrl611 New Egg

Jan 15, 2010
    How do I keep my Jersey Giants from hopping over my 4ft poultry netting? Can you clip chickens wings? HELP!!!

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
  3. sweettater

sweettater New Egg

Jan 14, 2010
    We have a four foot fence and clipped their wings (it was easy) but I'm not sure if we did it right because they can still get over the fence when they want to.... They seem to just have to flap a little harder and they definitely don't escape as often but still can when they want to. Again, we might have not cut their flight feathers short enough though...

You should try clipping the wings, it was a lot easier than I thought it would be... I would say just not to be nervous about clipping too far in and just go for it, I think that was why we weren't as successful. One of these days we are going to try again [​IMG]

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Go higher....6-8. 4 ft. they are laughing at you big time. [​IMG]

5. fours2many

fours2many Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Naples, Florida
    Hm, My Jersey Giants are so big, they wouldn't make it over a 2 foot fence. [​IMG] LOL! Now my smaller breeds, they fly over the 4 foot fences with ease, but the giants...even with running downhill, full speed, for 12 feet or more, they get no further than a few inches off the ground [​IMG] . They do try, just look funny as anything.

My family and I are so entertained by our 2 giants. We just love to watch them run, flapping their wings...getting no where off the ground. All of their chicken mates fly right past them.

I would love to see a flying jersey giant! Maybe I should say that out loud... I am glad they can't fly. [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    LOL, yall need some Silver Spangled Hamburgs....I think they wrote the book on chicken flying lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by